Topic: RME AVB Controller App: Questions and Feedback

After some testing and use of the RME AVB Controller app, I have some questions and feedback.

Text Fields - Truncated
A number of the pull down menus in the Connections section get truncated, making it difficult to have a clear understanding of what you have routed to the device.

https://i.ibb.co/RDk70rR/Screen-Shot-2021-03-01-at-3-05-06-pm.png

Manual
Is there a manual available for the app? There are quite a few menu commands that I am unclear as to what they do? Reload, Reconnect, Disconnect etc.

AVB Standard recommendation
Given my current network comprises of all RME equipment, is there any advantage to using the IEEE or Milan standard?

Configurations
I cant seem to either Save or Recall a configuration using the "Configurations..." menu item, any tips?

Workspaces vs Configurations?
What's the difference between these two classes of saving state?

App needs to be loaded to keep network alive?
I mentioned this in another post, but it looks like I need to have this app open otherwise all my routing is disconnected. ?

Sorry for the number of posts and questions, but there are so many new technologies to understand.

Many thanks, Tony.

Re: RME AVB Controller App: Questions and Feedback

all good points - Thank you smile

3 (edited by uwekirst 2021-04-01 19:31:59)

AVB - Milan Standard: there are some avb devices which do not work if you seltect Milan - like for example apple computers. So IEEE is for backward compatibility. Milan has some new features like channels based routing which are available in Milan Mode only. This is implemented with dynamic mappings which are not avaliable in IEEE mode. Within Hive e.g. you have a routing matix of all input channels of the digiface. So IEEE means means 1:1 routing only from inputs to TMFX channels.
Configurations: Some avb devices support more than one configuration. If you have suche a device (example: apple computers), the different configuration will be listed here and you can select a configuration.
Save Workspace vs Save: Save just saves the state of the selected device - save workspace saves the state of all detected avb devices in the network (sample rate, clock mode and the connections)
Menu Reload: Reenumerates the avb devices, reread the descriptors of these devices
Disconnect: Disconnect all inputs of the selected device
Reconnect: Disconnects and then connects all inputs that was previously connected of the seleced device

tdc wrote:

ManualIs there a manual available for the app? There are quite a few menu commands that I am unclear as to what they do? Reload, Reconnect, Disconnect etc.

The AVB Controller is part of the Digiface AVB manual, chapter 7.3,  and all commands you listed are described in there:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/dface_avb_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Uwekirst, thats a great help.

MC, the Chapter 7.x.x is all for Windows users. As i am on OSX, I skipped that chapter and looking now I can see I didn’t note 14.2 correctly.