1 (edited by Purusha 2021-02-07 13:32:42)

Topic: Driver initialisation issue with v4.17 drivers - high noise floor?

I've just noticed a strange thing happening with my multiple Multiface system.

I'm on MacOS Mojave (up-to-date as of Feb 2021) and on the latest v4.17 drivers (noting that the newer drivers are apparently for Big Sur only).

My 3 Multifaces are linked via word-clock and are set up as an aggregate device.

At boot, the middle Multiface in the chain seems to intermittently have a peak high noise floor, on the analogue inputs. of around -60dB. A reboot (restart MacOS) clears this down to a much lower level on the same system, with no other changes. The other 2 multifaces have consistent low noise floor levels.

Noise peak on the other 2 Multiface is around -100dB. Once I've rebooted, the problematic Multiface's noise level peak is also down at around -100dB.

Anyone else using multiple Hammerfall units seen this?

Re: Driver initialisation issue with v4.17 drivers - high noise floor?

Check the sample rate of the middle unit...might be at 192 kHz.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the response, but it's reporting 44.1KHz. That was one of my first thoughts tbh., since I've seen similar issues before.

I didn't think Multifaces went above 96KHz anyhow!?

Next time, I might try forcing a sample-rate change to something different and then back to 44.1KHz,to see if it clears the problem.

Right, 96 smile

Maybe WC set to Single speed or versa helps (if that option is available at all), otherwise toggling sample rate is a good idea.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've tried changing sample rate and WC. Neither works.

The only thing that's clearing this noise (and it does look like noise), is rebooting.

It looks, on the surface at least, like that card and break-out box, is not initialising properly on the first boot.

This one is still biting me. Now on a Big Sur volume and it’s doing the same.

Reboot clears it. Can only think it’s a timing / initialisation issue.

7 (edited by Purusha 2021-04-07 20:22:55)

I think this one is solved.

Something else I spotted and fixed (with help) appears to have been the cause.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32844

Edit: No - I spoke too soon. The noise is still there when I booted the next day.