1 (edited by khmbp 2021-04-08 14:02:53)

Topic: FF400 suddenly not recognized / red host light

I have my FF400 since a long time, amazing from RME to still support this interface with new updates!

I am having trouble though, suddenly my computers can´t connect, red host light is always on.
My setup is Macbook Pro late 2018, I connect through the 3 adapters (fw400->800> thunderbolt 2 > thunderbolt 3). It worked perfectly until recently, I didn´t change anything on my computer, still on macOS Mojave 10.14.6
I´ve tried going directly into the Macbook Pro, via a CalDigit TS3 Plus Dock (this worked perfectly with low latency).
I´ve also dug out my old Macbook Pro (I think 2012 model) with the Firewire 800 connector, no luck. Red host light.
I have tried two different firewire400 > 800 cables, that have worked perfectly in the past.
I´ve reinstalled RME drivers on both Computers.
Tried it with power supply and without (on the old computer with direct Firewire connection), no luck.

Is there something else I could try?

I´d hate to think it is broken and has to be discarded..

I do have the new Babyface Pro as well, but I´d like to continue using the Fireface400 in the studio...

Thanks for your help!

Re: FF400 suddenly not recognized / red host light

I suppose you have tried the second FW port on the FF400?

Just cause mine only has one functioning FW port. I can connect a harddrive on the second port though. So it's not completely broken...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Thanks! Yes I did try that before, no luck.

But interesting development: my Babyface Pro FS didn´t work neither. I reinstalled RME USB drivers as well, and my computer wouldn´t restart any longer, after I accepted RME system software that was blocked by the macOS.
I had to recover my mac from the timemachine backup. Now BOTH interfaces work again. Why I have no clue.
I have Total mix FX version 1.64, Fireface Settings v3.39, Fireface USB Settings v3.19

khmbp wrote:

I´ve also dug out my old Macbook Pro (I think 2012 model) with the Firewire 800 connector, no luck. Red host light.

I wonder how it is with this old MBP, has the situation changed ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

I wonder how it is with this old MBP, has the situation changed ?

No, there it doesn´t work. Strange.

Any Apple updates in between?

Silly question, really, as GateKeeper updates fi, are invisible to the user.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...