1 (edited by drannonb 2021-04-10 21:57:41)

Topic: Combined Fireface UFX & UFX+ via Apple Aggregate Audio Device?

I'm patching together a hodge podge studio right now, with a sixteen channel mixer as my front end, and I want to use my two Firefaces (one UFX and one UFX+) at the same time to expand my analog and digital IO.  I was thinking that using the Aggregate Audio Device option in OSX might work as long as the clocks are in sync (use the UFX+ as master and UFX as slave).

Anybody tried this?  How'd it work out?

Thanks!

Re: Combined Fireface UFX & UFX+ via Apple Aggregate Audio Device?

It works. It adds a tiny bit of latency, as it seems to increase Macos internal buffers.

Core audio will even reclock, if necessary, but that should be avoided at all cost.

It's been years since I really used it, though.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

3 (edited by drannonb 2021-04-11 01:34:04)

UPDATE just in case anybody was curious...

After aggregating the two devices within OSX and syncing them via wordclock, Logic reported an additional 0.5ms of latency at the same buffer size (32 samples).

Gotta love RME baby!

If you can get away with the old UFX just adding eight inputs and outputs to your system  you might get better performance just by connecting Adat light pipes between the two interfaces and only using UFX+ as selected interface and avoid aggregate altogether

Unfortunately I'm already using my ADAT I/O for other things so that's not an option.  However I can totally live with a half ms of additional latency on my system, as it still sits below 3ms and it affords me all I/O of both units, which I will be utilizing.