Topic: Brand new UFX+ has no output signals

Hi All,

Anyone able to point me in the right direction here. I have a brand new UFX+ not outputting any signals from my inputs.
Faders on the mic input 9 are up but i see no corresponding outputs either in Totalmix or the standalone front panel dials.

Any ideas? I hope i'm missing something small and not have recieved a DOA.

Re: Brand new UFX+ has no output signals

steven.bracamonte wrote:

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear but how about some information about your system (Apple, Windows) and how you connected the UFX+ to it (USB, TB) ?! Did you try other ports / cables ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'm using Windows 10. I downloaded the latest drivers and installed those without issue. I also flashed the firmware to the latest. It's connected with the supplied usb cable to a usb 3.0 port on my windows desktop.
I'm also concerned that I don't see any of the output signals on the front panel of the unit itself. I plug in my microphone and am able to see the input signal spikes but nothing at all on the outputs.

4 (edited by waedi 2021-04-08 16:01:58)

May you open the Totalmix software program ?
You have to route the incoming signal to somewhere.
There is no corresponding output, you have to click on the output first to activate it for receiving signals from input channels.
First assign the main output with the assign button in the control room section right bottom side.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

If you can flash your devices then this is a good sign in terms of, it could be recognized by the flash utility and communication is possible.

Besides TM FX routing you need to configure WDM devices, so that Windows and all other applications, that do not support ASIO (like Internet browser and what not...) are able to use the recording interface.
See also manual ch 7:
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_e.pdf

So .. open RME driver settings ("MADIface Series Settings") in the lower right area (Windows notification area).
Note: depending on your settings the icon might be hidden (you know what I mean, the typical thing there ...).

In driver settings in the middle right section called "WDM devices" click to "configure".
In the TAB "WDM Devices" select only required devices, e.g. where your active monitors are connected to (usually Analog 1+2). In the TAB "Speaker" select Analog (1+2), this creates an additional icon for "Loudspeaker".

In the Windows Sound setting under "Playback" you configure this Loudspeaker symbol as "Standard" sound device.
Now the operating system and all of the applications that do not support ASIO can use this device for sound playback.

In the Windows Notification area should also be another icon for TotalMix FX.
Next step is to setup some standard routings towards your active monitors and phones.

For that you need to learn the basic operating principles of TotalMix FX in submix mode.
Ensure you are in submix mode, select a HW output like e.g. AN1+2.
Then you see the submix for this output by observing the fader settings of HW Inputs and SW Playback channels.
You create a customized submix by moving the faders as needed to either 0dB, Infinitiy or any level you want.

You can use these available resources as source of information for that:

1. Very informative RME Tutorials on Youtube, that are "to the point" (without any "bla" factor) and do not need much time. This gives IMHO the best overview about basic operating principles and features before checking the manual. I put together a list of available tutorials here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … al-Videos/

2. A step by step primer for a basic setup that I put together here: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rnal-equi/

3. in the manual
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_e.pdf

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

steven.bracamonte wrote:

Hi All,

Anyone able to point me in the right direction here. I have a brand new UFX+ not outputting any signals from my inputs.
Faders on the mic input 9 are up but i see no corresponding outputs either in Totalmix or the standalone front panel dials.

Any ideas? I hope i'm missing something small and not have recieved a DOA.

"Faders up" alone does not make sure the signal is going to the right destination. As mentioned, our video tutorials at rme.to/tm should help, and they will also help you ask better questions, i.e. give a more detailed report of what isn't working as expected.

That said, does playback work?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check those details and see if playback works after I get to record something.
I'll report back my findings. So far the WDM test did not work. Still not seeing anything in output.
I tried turning up and assigning inputs to my outputs within totalmix FX but still not seeing anything in the output or hearing anything.

A very long time ago, I hated RME devices. I only got to work with them on occasion and always had problems.

When I got my own FF400, I had to bite the bullet and learn how to use them. It took a while before TotalMix' logic stuck.

Now, I'm a happy fan.

Watch those vids. It'll take a while, but once it sticks, it's easy and logical.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Got this figured out. My usb 3.0 ports on the back of my computer seemed to be causing the issue. I switched to  USB 2.0 ports and the outputs started to work. Odd that inputs worked...
Certainly a touchy device. What was confusing is that even when trying to get standalone mode to work it didn't work. I guess you can't have the usb ports plugged into the computer because TotalMix must takeover otherwise causing the same issue.

Now that i have a firm starting point I'll dive into the inner workings.

Thanks all for your suggestions.