Topic: Is it possible to output ADAT to optical in on reciever?(Fireface UCX)

Ive got a fireface UCX which I normally output 2 channels to my Genelecs, but realized it might be possible to also output digitally via the ADAT output to my receiver's optical input.

Have not gotten it to work the last few hours so posting here is my last resort.

Newest TotalMix version, Fireface UCX, receiver is an Integra (high end Onkyo), running on Windows 10, brand new optical cable and the red light comes out the other side when plugged into the UCX. I have of course gone through the settings on the receiver.

By the way, on page 41 of the UCX manual, it says:
"Note: To use the optical output as ADAT output make sure the option Output Format/Optical in the settings dialog is set to ADAT, not to SPDIF"
-Ive not found this setting anywhere in settings dialog. Was the software changed since the manual came out?

Thanks in advance

T

Re: Is it possible to output ADAT to optical in on reciever?(Fireface UCX)

If you mean Audio Video Receiver - there is not a single one supporting ADAT protocol.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ADAT is not compatible with SPDIF, they are different digital format but both can transfer using Toslink port.
So you have to switch the port function for using with consumer device (usually use Toslink port for SPDIF).
Total mix dose not contain some hardware settings, you need to find these setting in another program, it will show in system tray after install the driver and reboot(win10).

> Ive not found this setting anywhere in settings dialog.

'Settings dialog' in the manual only refers to the unit's Fireface USB Settings (dialog). This one is shown as screenshot in the manual, and includes exactly that option. Set it to SPDIF there and your receiver should work (in stereo).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

'Settings dialog' in the manual only refers to the unit's Fireface USB Settings (dialog). This one is shown as screenshot in the manual, and includes exactly that option. Set it to SPDIF there and your receiver should work (in stereo).

Thanks for the reply, I understand now that regular hi fi receivers do not have ADAT inputs, but they do have optical inputs (toslink)

So you meant I should set it to SPDIF in the windows settings? SPDIF/ADAT and not SPDIF coaxial, right? Since I am using a toslink cable and not a coaxial.

And in totalmix I send all to the optical output, is that correct?

'SPDIF coaxial' is no choice anywhwere in the Settings dialog. And it's the first time you mention that you use that.

SPDIF Coaxial output does not have an option, it is always SPDIF. In that case you did not send any audio to the coaxial output via TotalMix FX (Hardware Output channel SPDIF), or the output is set to Professional. Some AVRs require Consumer.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME