Topic: Will the MADIface pro be discontinued?

Hello,

The Japanese distributor's page said that the MADIface pro was discontinued.
https://synthax.jp/madiface-pro.html

But the your product page doesn't mention that yet, is it scheduled to be discontinued?
Or is it just temporary due to global parts shortage?
https://www.rme-audio.de/madiface-pro.html

Re: Will the MADIface pro be discontinued?

The MADIface Pro is indeed officially discontinued now. There might be limited stock somewhere, maybe even at a reduced price, so if you need it buy it. Our firmware and driver support will continue for many years, as usual.

I will also check today why this info is not found on the other RME websites.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I was very interested in this product and I will try to find a store that still has it in stock.
It's very compact and very well integrated.
Thank you for bringing a good product into the world.

I heard that we still have stock, therefore it will currently not be labelled discontinued on our main website.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The MADIface Pro is indeed officially discontinued now.

Bummer. And thanks for the info. Just bought our 3rd one, and are happy every day using it in our small and easy to use MADI network. Thanks for this really special and well-crafted piece of gear.

MADIface(s) Pro, UFX+, MADI Router
Mac mini Intel, iPad Air 2020
ProTools, Hindenburg

I guess the question that everybody has in mind is: Will we see a successor?

+1
Madiface Pro FS

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

I just picked one up and am glad that I did. In Europe there are a few still around so if you need one chances are you'll be able to find it.

2x HDSPe MADI FX, MADIFace Pro

I was wondering about the Madiface Pro, in particular an FS version. It really is the perfect interface for me. I don't know much about they details of MADI though, my understanding is the clock information is encoded in the data stream, in which case if I were using an external unit connected via MADI, would the FS clock actually offer anything?

As this is bascially a digital interface - not at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by ramses 2021-08-29 07:52:10)

pants_de wrote:

I was wondering about the Madiface Pro, in particular an FS version. It really is the perfect interface for me. I don't know much about they details of MADI though, my understanding is the clock information is encoded in the data stream, in which case if I were using an external unit connected via MADI, would the FS clock actually offer anything?

As I understand it, an RME device with steadyclock would refresh the clock signal received via MADI and perform the AD/DA conversion with its own internal clock. If I remember right currently there is no RME converter/mic preamp with internal FS clock available. So in this case I think the FS clock on the recording interface side would not have any impact on the conversion quality of a RME preamp or AD/DA converter as such a device with Steadyclock is decoupled from the original clock. It already makes the best out of such a clock signal, removes the jitter, refreshes the clock signal.

Preamps/converter from other vendors without steadyclock technology will most likely use the clock signal which is embedded into the MADI data. In this case it is for me questionable whether the high precision of an internal FS clock can be maintained through MADI, because data (and the embedded clock signal) then goes through other network components / circuits (MADI).  Perhaps RME can shed some light on whether my understanding is correct here.

I personally would not depend too much on the presence of FS clock. In various discussions about ADI-2 Pro the consensus is, that it admittedly provides better measurement values but doesn't deliver audible advantages.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you both. It seems they are becoming quite hard to find for purchase now. I do hope a successor is announced.

We usually do not comment on such things, but in this case I can say there will be no successor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well thank you for letting us know, at the least saved me a very long wait!

Was a great interface I thought, lots of channels for use with an external AD unit, but also some niceties like a hardware volume control, midi port, a few pres if ever on the road etc. I suppose a pretty niche combination of features though.

Just made my first recording with this interface - so glad I bought one of the last units a few months ago! Many input channels, monitoring for speakers and headphones, talkback, super compact...

I'm curious wether RME will present a AVB version instead.

Just as an update, since there was still a purchase option on the RME USA site, I took a gamble and placed an order for one. RME emailed that they shipped me the last new unit they had. I was happily surprised I managed to get one, and also a bit sad it was officially over just as I’m starting.

MADIface Pro / Ferrofish Pulse 16MX

That won't stop you from putting it to good use, nor does it mean that driver support will be discontinued....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

That won't stop you from putting it to good use, nor does it mean that driver support will be discontinued....

Indeed it won’t! I’m looking forward to using this for a good long time.

MADIface Pro / Ferrofish Pulse 16MX

Now that this amazing product is no longer available, what options do consumers have who need madi support and class compliant mode?

destroall wrote:

Now that this amazing product is no longer available, what options do consumers have who need madi support and class compliant mode?

I think the Fireface UFX + is the only product left that has madi and class compliant mode.  Unfortunately for me, that product is more than I need with a price to match.  Anyone have a spare Madiface they'd like to sell?

destroall wrote:
destroall wrote:

I think the Fireface UFX + is the only product left that has madi and class compliant mode.  Unfortunately for me, that product is more than I need with a price to match.  Anyone have a spare Madiface they'd like to sell?

Got my madiface pro today!  Brand new in a box.   A shop in the Netherlands had one left.  Thank you, universe!

destroall wrote:
destroall wrote:

Congrats that you still got the Madiface Pro!
The UFX+ has Madi and CC mode, however, you wouldn’t be able to access the Madi channels, because in CC mode only the first 24 input channels are supported, which are the line level inputs, the mics, aes and some adat channels, if I am not mistaken.

I really do hope that RME makes the Madiface USB class compliant (or provide the 12Mic with a cc USB interface functionality).

Out of curiosity: What is the intended usecase for class compliant mode and MADIface?

24 (edited by ramses 2022-08-01 11:29:13)

Ulrich wrote:

Out of curiosity: What is the intended use case for class compliant mode and MADIface?

Linux support.
https://www.creatorbeat.com/audio/choos … for-linux/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ulrich wrote:

Out of curiosity: What is the intended usecase for class compliant mode and MADIface?

I connect the 12Mic via Madi and the Madiface Pro to a Raspberry Pi (a Linux computer), which I programmed to provide a portable remote recording solution. I wouldn’t want to leave a macBook unattended.

TheOrganist wrote:
Ulrich wrote:

I connect the 12Mic via Madi and the Madiface Pro to a Raspberry Pi (a Linux computer), which I programmed to provide a portable remote recording solution. I wouldn’t want to leave a macBook unattended.

Very interesting! How many tracks are possible with the Pi?

Ulrich wrote:
TheOrganist wrote:
Ulrich wrote:

Very interesting! How many tracks are possible with the Pi?

In class compliant mode RME‘s devices deliver max. 24 channels. The Pi itself is not the limitation here, it‘s the SD card or attached USB storage. Also the file system has an influence. I tried with a vfat formatted ultraspeed micro sd card - 24 channels at 44.1kHz were no problem. I still need to try higher sample rates.