Topic: ARC USB - Footswitch not working

Hi!

We recently added to the studio some on/off footswitches to operate in conjunction with the ARC USB Controller (we want to use them to open and close the talkback).

The thing is that everything seems well connected and configured but still, the TotalMix is not getting any messages. We are using 2018 Mac Minis (some with Mojave and some with Catalina) and all the drivers and softwares are updated. Any clues?

Thank you for your help.

Re: ARC USB - Footswitch not working

Did you configure the footswitch in the ARC USB settings dialog within TM FX? What did you set there?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

These are the settings atm. Hope that helps.

https://ibb.co/Jp7xM8b

https://ibb.co/K5K3mLm

Thanks!

The ARC USB must NOT be selected as MIDI I/O device. Also it might help to check 'SE only' at the bottom (you use the SE mode anyway).

Does the rest of the ARC USB work as expected?

Then it depends on the correct footswitch setting if the currently used one will work as intended. Try the different options.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The ARC USB works perfectly on its own.

I've tried to remove the ARC itself from the MIDI I/O Devices and I checked the 'SE Only' box at the bottom. The footswitch receives power as it lights up when I press it but still the TotalMix doesn't gets any messages from it.

> The footswitch receives power as it lights up when I press it

I think what you mean is: The Talkback button at the ARC USB lights up when you press the footswitch. In that case the Talkback button in TM FX will also light up. There is no way for this not to happen if the rest of the ARC USB works. That means Talkback functionality is activated and it works.

I just checked the function on macOS and as expected it works as it should. So how did you set up Talkback and what do you expect to happen? Did you read the manual's chapter about Talkback and what it does and how to configure it?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No, what I meant is that the footswitch pedal itself has a light that turns on when the circuitry activates and then it turns off when deactivated.

When the footswitch is connected to the ARC, the on/off light on the footswitch itself works, but nothing happens in the ARC nor in the TotalMix FX with the parameters shown in the images I sent in the previous post.

The talkback in the TMFX and in the ARC is well configured, we have 2 buttons (one set to 'Toggle' and another set on 'Push') working perfectly fine (lights in the ARC and in the TMFX are ok), what we are trying to achieve in the studio is to have a footswitch pedal as well for the TB connected to the ARC and that's the thing that it doesn't work at the moment.

I don't know your footpedals, but it is easy to test. Simply plug in anything that has near zero ohm, like a guitar with vol set to 0, a jack shorted, a low impedance headphone...

As you have several ARC USB I doubt they are all defective. I think your foot pedals don't do what they should.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME