Topic: Is ADI-2 DAC FS low latency for playing virtual instrument ?

Hi

My primary usage is playing midi keyboard to virtual instruments, recroding the midi and mix, input channel is rarely needed, so adi-2 dac fs looks good to me.

The only thing I am concerning about is if adc-2 dac fs latency is low enough for playing virtual instrument in realtime when working in usb mode as an audiointerface.

Is there any data about it ?

Thanks
PS: Sorry for my poor English

2 (edited by ramses 2021-04-21 05:22:12)

Re: Is ADI-2 DAC FS low latency for playing virtual instrument ?

Can you please detail your setup ? What do you want to use for MIDI I/O ?
What computer / operating system do you use ?

EDIT: reason for my question.

I personally would regard it as an advantage to have MIDI as part of the recording interface to have best RME driver support for MIDI transport. Because then I would say chances are better, that also MIDI data arrive in time without too much latency (and maybe also jitter). I would not be too convinced if you would invest into a separate USB based 3rd party MIDI interface.

Therefore I would tend to recommend a RME recording interface with MIDI I/O.

If you want to use the ADI-2 DAC because of its unique features as phones preamp and for monitors, then you can easily add it to such a setup by connecting it to a digital output of an/your RME recording interface. See here how to integrate ADI-2 Pro / DAC to a recording environment digitally by using ADAT: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

And this was finally the reason why I would like to know, what computer you have, desktop or laptop to be able to make you a good proposal, whether you could use a PCIe based card or whether only USB is possible.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The latency is RME style, means low. The manual does not include that info because for DACs it is typically irrelevant, but you can check the Pro manual and read in there. The latency will as usual depend on the ASIO buffer setting, or the buffer set in the app if using Mac.

Using the Short Delay filters in the DAC will ensure that minimum latency is achieved at lower buffer sizes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I measured the latency of the ADI-2 Pro in analog loopback at 48kHz and 32samples ASIO buffer as 3.5ms, and that was with the long delay (linear-phase) filters. Internal delay in the device was measured as 39samples (0.8ms).
So for the DA alone, it won't be more than 2ms, and even less with short delay filter. With NOS setting, according to manual, internal delay is 1 single sample.

When monitoring with headpones this will be lower latency than from speakers 1m away (3ms) even it were zero delay (analog real-time monitor)... and also less than when playing a real piano with the strings also being 0.5m...1m away from your ears.

ramses wrote:

Can you please detail your setup ? What do you want to use for MIDI I/O ?
What computer / operating system do you use ?

EDIT: reason for my question.

I personally would regard it as an advantage to have MIDI as part of the recording interface to have best RME driver support for MIDI transport. Because then I would say chances are better, that also MIDI data arrive in time without too much latency (and maybe also jitter). I would not be too convinced if you would invest into a separate USB based 3rd party MIDI interface.

Therefore I would tend to recommend a RME recording interface with MIDI I/O.

If you want to use the ADI-2 DAC because of its unique features as phones preamp and for monitors, then you can easily add it to such a setup by connecting it to a digital output of an/your RME recording interface. See here how to integrate ADI-2 Pro / DAC to a recording environment digitally by using ADAT: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

And this was finally the reason why I would like to know, what computer you have, desktop or laptop to be able to make you a good proposal, whether you could use a PCIe based card or whether only USB is possible.

My setup:
Desktop, i7 7700, 32G RAM, Windows 10, Cubase Pro 11, Roland A88mk2 Keyboard (USB Mode), and another keyboard through Roland UM ONE

( I have read you tutorial before, and that is one of the reasons bring me here. )

Thanks.

I do not know the Roland USB MIDI interface that you mentioned. When I worked with MIDI keyboards in the past I always used MIDI I/O not USB.

If not somebody else can contribute to this topic I would say try it out whether it works good. Alternatively you could directly order a RME card and make a side per side comparison what setup works best for you.

There are RME interfaces with one and some with two MIDI ports.
Two MIDI ports might be practical to use one for e.g. keyboards and the other one for e.g. remote controlling a RME preamp.

This video shows you how to perform the typical MIDI cabling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5QkZjnc2A

A good choice for an USB interface with one MIDI port would be e.g.: Babyface Pro FS, 802
Two MIDI ports are being offered by: UC, UCX, UFX II, UFX+

If you prefer a PCIe card, the RayDAT is a very nice digital card with two MIDI ports which gives you a lot of options.

All these mentioned cards also have an ADAT port to be able to connect an ADI-2 DAC FS / Pro FS as you like.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I'm also interested in this kind of setup, i want to get the best sound for my piano vst.

so i thought to get a good dac, if anyone has tried it regarding the latency, i would totally happy to know.