Topic: Digiface USB & Big Sure M1 no spdif output

I have a Mac Mini M1 with Big Sur and just hooked up a new Digiface USB for the first time. Updated the firmware and installed the driver. Driver seems to be working, I am able to get signal from the OS to the headphone output. I want to feed my main monitors with a SPDIF output from the Digiface, and I have selected SPDIF in the "Fireface USB Settings" app, but after selecting it there seems to be no change. When you switch to SPDIF will Totalmix reflect this? Would the Mac Audio/Midi settings reflect this? When looking at both of those, it still looks like a full 32 channels of ADAT output.

I have searched the forum, the internet, and the RME site without finding anything about this. I'm new to RME products and the Digiface, so I could be missing something. Anyone have some insight that might help me?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-04-24 21:31:58)

Re: Digiface USB & Big Sure M1 no spdif output

To which ADAT port are your digital monitors connected to ?
Do you route audio to this HW output ?

Please post a screenshot of
- driver settings and
- the TM FX window with the proper HW output selected in submix mode.

Many thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses, thanks for the quick reply...
I routed to the outputs because from my perspective, I do not see the spdif output. Here is the screenshot:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eYEpGxooLZ5KVtu18

4 (edited by ramses 2021-04-24 22:01:52)

Is it correct to assume that you connected your digital monitors to the first ADAT port "ADAT1" OUT ?
Which ports did you assign to Main Out ?

If you switch an ADAT port to SPDIF protocol, then usually the 1st two channels are being used for SPDIF
(as ADAT is 8ch at single speed and SPDIF is 2ch from single up to quad speed), so for
- the physical ADAT port ADAT1 OUT the TM FX channels -> ADAT 1/2 OUT
- the physical ADAT port ADAT2 OUT the TM FX channels-> ADAT 9/10 OUT
- the physical ADAT port ADAT3 OUT the TM FX channels-> ADAT 17/18 OUT
- the physical ADAT port ADAT4 OUT the TM FX channels-> ADAT 25/26 OUT

So if your monitors are connected to the port ADAT1 OUT, then in TM FX use HW Output ADAT 1/2 for the routing.
1. In the TotalMix FX Control room on the right side click "Assign" button.
2. Assign "Main Out" to port ADAT 1/2
3. Change "Main Out's" fader to -35 dB, so that it won't become too loud
4. Ensure that TM FX is set to "Submix Mode" (blue area on the right), next steps to be performed in submix mode
5. Select the "Main Out" channel in the control room, keep it selected for the next steps to create a submix for your monitors
Play Music, you should see a signal in the middle row under SW playback channels, maybe SW Playback ADAT 1/2.
6. Raise the fader of this channel slowly otherwise it might become too loud, you should hear sound.

Save this routing so snapshot 1 on the right side of TM FX
Save Snapshot, Worplace and Create a Workspace Quick Select entry to save your routing.

Similar steps to be done for phones ...
Click Assign Button and assign the analog outputs for phones to "Phones 1".
Create a routing for Phones1 in submix mode.
Select Channel "Phones1" in TM FX Control room and create a routing like shown above and save it to another snapshot and save the states to disk.

Next think to take care of ... that you find the proper volume level for your digital monitors and phones output.
These you should save to your two snapshots for using Monitors and Phones.
Update your saved Snapshot and Workspace file and Workspace Quick Select settings.

You need to make sure that these volume settings are being used whenever you boot your computer.
In TM FX Preferences you should configure: [x] always init DSP devices with TM FX settings

Its also very practical to configure there: "Snapshots Do not load "----""
By this the saved / proper volume level will be restored whenever your recall a snapshot for routing audio to monitors or phones.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I got it...stupid me, I had muted my MiniDSP (DSP crossover interface to the mains) when I was hooking things up.

However, I see that Totalmix does not reflect whether the outputs are assigned to ADAT (8 channels) vs SPDIF (2 channels)...that seems strange to me. Is that just for us as users to create a preset eliminating the other 6 outputs from the Total mix?

If the other channels disturb you, then you can hide them under TM FX -> Options -> Channel Layout.

ramses, thank you for your help, much appreciated.

You're welcome wink