Topic: [Solved] Flash Update for Multiface 1 version 1.8

Hello!

I have an old Multiface  with PCI card, but it has worked great for years. I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 10 (long story) and have found I get digital noise with buffer size below 1024, which is shame because I monitor within my DAW. I have tried old 3.x drivers and the newest ones, same issue (old driver might be slightly better, but it's impossible to quantify).

I wonder if the issue might be that I need to update the flash for the card, but my card is version 1.8. The cable to the Multiface is like a firewire cable. The documentation suggest issues with >1.8 cards, but I don't know if this includes 1.8, or just anything earlier?

So, two questions:
1:Is flashing the PCI card likely to help with my digital noise issue?
2:If so, is it safe to do on this card, or am I at risk (in which case, I'll find another solution).

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Re: [Solved] Flash Update for Multiface 1 version 1.8

I don't see where you mentioned your current Firmware version.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Good morning Matthias,

Thank you so much for replying on a Sunday morning!

I ran the hdsp_wdm_fut and it says my card is hardware revision 55 and is up to date. I am surprised to see this because I've had the card since 2009 and I have not updated the firmware, so I don't understand how it can have this flash from 2015? Would be grateful for your suggestion.

Thanks again!

Simply because the firmware did not change since 2006 anymore. In other words: this is not the reason for any performance issues that you experience. v55 works with any hardware and any driver.

Did you only change the OS or the computer as well?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Understood, thank you. I was hopeful that maybe this was causing my issue, but if not, at least it is helpful to rule out this posibility.

I changed only the OS from Win XP to Win 10. In fact, I did this on a new drive, so I can swap drives back and forth and clearly XP offers better performance/lower buffer size.

I finally traced this problem to an issue with the video driver - unrelated to the Multiface. In case anyone should come across this thread in a search, check video and display drivers, since in my case issues with the video driver resulted in audio problems.