Topic: Does ADI-2 requires the five volt USB power feed

As the title say, I would like to know if I can use such a usb cable,please.
Thanks

2 (edited by Curt962 2021-04-26 17:44:28)

Re: Does ADI-2 requires the five volt USB power feed

Hmm...not sure exactly what you're asking, but the RME does NOT draw it's operating power from attached USB sources.  The RME is self-powered.

Be careful here!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

tcb_38 wrote:

Thanks

No, you can use every standard USB cable.

The term "VBUS handshake" is not an official term. There are two things that may fall under this name. According to the USB spec a device (such as a DAC) cannot connect to the D+,D- pins unless the VBUS pin is near 5V. Some DACs power some or parts of their circuitry from the VBUS pin, but even if they are self powered they are still supposed to look at the VBUS and not connect if VBUS is less than 4.75V or so. SOME DACs completely ignore VBUS and connect whether VBUS is powered or not, this is not spec compliant.

There is another use of VBUS, for OTG ports (which can be either host or device) under some circumstances VBUS is actually used as a communications line, the voltage is pulsed, this is used to resolve which type of functionality the port should take on. This is rarely if ever used with DACs, thus "VBUS handshake" usually refers to the above, the device should not connect if VBUS is not near 5V.

This all assumes that the ground line is always connected. Things get really wonky when people try and disconnect the ground line. Some aspects of the USB signaling will not work without the ground line, and the VBUS detect will also not work without the ground line. There are a few very specific instances where some people have gotten away with cutting the ground wire, but in these cases there has ALWAYS been some other path where the computer ground gets connected to the USB receiver chip's ground.

5 (edited by ramses 2021-04-26 19:30:27)

KaiS wrote:
tcb_38 wrote:

Thanks

No, you can use every standard USB cable.

Yup, but not as power supply for the device (the topic here).

tcb_38 wrote:

Thanks

The "ADI-2" is an older converter and has no USB: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/products/adi_2.php
Also the "ADI-2 FS" (the successor of the ADI-2) has no USB.

So you mean either: ADI-2 DAC FS or ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.

As Curt already pointed out: all these devices need a power supply or a suitable battery.
They can't be powered by the USB port.

See manual ch. 6 "power supply":
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dacr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2dacr_e.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profsr_e.pdf

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Easy enough to test...

You probably have an excess of USB cables. Choose one, cut it open, cut the 5V wire and check if you ADI-2 Pro or DAC still works.

You can later use that cable for measurements, or injecting 5V from a PSU to a bus-powered device.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

7 (edited by KSTR 2021-04-27 10:44:19)

Just checked, the Pro does *not* use or sense the 5V USB Bus Power for anything. For the DAC I will safely assume the same.

The Gound wire is needed for reference, though. If you have another ground connection between sending source (PC, LapTop) and the RME, it may work (actually it did in my quick test) but this could easily be quite unreliable resulting in strange occasional errors etc.

tcb_38 wrote:

This all assumes that the ground line is always connected. Things get really wonky when people try and disconnect the ground line. Some aspects of the USB signaling will not work without the ground line, and the VBUS detect will also not work without the ground line. There are a few very specific instances where some people have gotten away with cutting the ground wire, but in these cases there has ALWAYS been some other path where the computer ground gets connected to the USB receiver chip's ground.

Full ACK. USB has no way of setting up the communication when there is no reference potential... the D+/D- lines will just run into the rails of their (hopefully present) ESD clamping diodes.

tcb_38 wrote:

Thanks

What cable are you speaking of ?
The titel seems not to mention any cable.

I can't imagine a USB cable on the market with the feature of being kaputt.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

9 (edited by KaiS 2021-04-27 15:55:32)

tcb_38 wrote:

waedi wrote:
tcb_38 wrote:

Thanks

What cable are you speaking of ?
The titel seems not to mention any cable.

I can't imagine a USB cable on the market with the feature of being kaputt.

I first got it wrong too:
The topic starter was asking if it is possible to power ADI-2 over USB.
“Cable” means (USB) PSU (+cable).

The answer is still “No”, no power supply of ADI-2 through the USB port.
The dedicated 12 V PSU is needed.

just a FYI removing ground from the usb plug can damage the usb chips in devices

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632