Topic: Strange ARC behaviour

Hello, long time lurker here.

I've had the UCX and ARC for about 5 years now, and I've been extremely satisfied with the UCX.

The ARC is a bit wonky though, and have been from day one.
When I'm using the scroll wheel to increase volume, the volume goes down almost as much as up, and vice versa.
I should have brought this up with my retailer as we have five years 'warranty' here, but I didn't.

I'm on Mac OS, latest drivers and firm/software.
This is the third Mac I'm using, and the ARC has been like this no matter what.

Anyone experienced this behaviour and know a fix?

2 (edited by ramses 2021-05-04 17:13:50)

Re: Strange ARC behaviour

I wouldn't use the old ARC anymore, better get the newer (and better) ARC USB.

You only need to connect it to a computers USB port and TotalMix FX will perform then the communication with the recording interface.

This works BTW for all recording interfaces, also PCI/PCIe cards, back to 2001, as the only requirement is TotalMix FX and this has been backported to many devices thanks to RME.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Well yes, the obvious solution is to throw money at the problem. smile

I was hoping for an economically and environmentally better solution as the ARC is all I need, or want.

Seems like a problem with the encoder inside the ARC. Since these are long discontinued, it's hard to say if repairs might be possible. I would also recommend the ARC USB, as there are many new features that give you a better experience.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Uluen wrote:
ramses wrote:

Well yes, the obvious solution is to throw money at the problem. smile

I was hoping for an economically and environmentally better solution as the ARC is all I need, or want.

It could have been the case, that you do not know that its possible and you didn't tell that wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Jeff wrote:

Seems like a problem with the encoder inside the ARC. Since these are long discontinued, it's hard to say if repairs might be possible.

How long was it since they were discontinued? One of my local retailers have 10 of them.

Jeff wrote:

I would also recommend the ARC USB, as there are many new features that give you a better experience.

The USB ARC can't be used without the computer running, I assume. And as I said, I don't need more features.

Uluen wrote:

The USB ARC can't be used without the computer running, I assume. And as I said, I don't need more features.

Correct. That only works on some newer interfaces with a USB port for it, but not on the UCX.
I am using both here parallel on the UCX at different positions in the room, working nicely.