Topic: UC mic problems

I'm not the most technical chap in the world so I'll thank you in advance for your patience.

My Uc is acting odd. I can get a signal using a jack to xlr with a dynamic mic on phantom power but can't with a condenser I've just bought. I had this issue when borrowing a friends condenser a month or so ago so I don't think its my new mic. Can anyone help please? I'd really appreciate it

2 (edited by sandyrobertwalton 2021-05-15 17:06:31)

Re: UC mic problems

Nothing wrong with the mic (tested else where) which is a AT2020 and have new cable coming tomorrow but really think this is an issue with the UC. if there are any settings I might have missed or anything at all please don't hesitate to suggest anything.

3 (edited by waedi 2021-05-15 20:13:43)

Not so clear what you want.
What is "jack to xlr" ?
Your mic has a XLR connector, you should use a XLR-cable to connect the mic to the XLR connector on the front of the UC interface.
No jack involved.
In Totalmix is inside the input channel MIC 1/2 (to open with the wrench tool)  the button 48V for switching on phantom power.
Did you missed that ? Not sure, please try it.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

4 (edited by sandyrobertwalton 2021-05-15 22:24:27)

waedi wrote:

Not so clear what you want.
What is "jack to xlr" ?
Your mic has a XLR connector, you should use a XLR-cable to connect the mic to the XLR connector on the front of the UC interface.
No jack involved.
In Totalmix is inside the input channel MIC 1/2 (to open with the wrench tool)  the button 48V for switching on phantom power.
Did you missed that ? Not sure, please try it.

Sorry I’ll try and be clear.
That 1/4 jack to xlr is the only  cable I have, more are coming tomorrow so I’ll try xlr to xlr. It’s really strange my shure dynamic mic works fine on channel one with 48v turned On through that jack to xlr cable. Hopefully it is just the cable like you are suggesting but I thought this wouldn’t be a problem. Thanks for the response.

5 (edited by waedi 2021-05-16 03:47:41)

The TRS jacks are free of phantom power.
From page 40 user manual.
Condenser mics cannot work on the Jack socket, you must use a XLR cable.
And btw phantom power should only turned on when a condenser mic (or any mic that needs phantom power) is connected.
Other mics can get damage from wrong handling with phantom power enabled.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

The TRS jacks are free of phantom power.
From page 40 user manual.
Condenser mics cannot work on the Jack socket, you must use a XLR cable.
And btw phantom power should only turned on when a condenser mic (or any mic that needs phantom power) is connected.
Other mics can get damage from wrong handling with phantom power enabled.

Thanks for finding that. I think the other shure mic confused me as it works with the cable through phantom power. Hopefully the new cables will sort it today