Topic: Digiface Dante Clock Master

I have a setup with a Soundcraft VI1000, a Mac with Live Professor and the Digiface Dante.
As long as I set the Soundcraft as the clock master it runs without a problem but when I set the Madiface as the clock master and therefore I have to set the VI as a Dante slave internally I get periodically clicks.
In different setups the VI has no problem to be the Dante slave but could it be that the Digiface don't like to be the Dante Master clock?

Re: Digiface Dante Clock Master

waedi wrote:

But for the Soundcraft monster there I have my doubts that it can handle dante or madi without dropouts.

Sorry waedi, but I think you have no idea what you are talking about!

The VI1000 has Dante and Madi as a standard built in Interface and works without any problem with my PT HDX3 and Madi Interface as well as with a lot of Shure ULXD4 receivers in a setup with another Lawo and SSL Desks connected via Dante.
In this setup the SSL L200 is the Dante Master.
As long as the RME device is a Dante slave all is good but not if the RME is the Dante Master.

Sorry waedi, again, you have no idea what you are talking about.
You should read and understand what I am writing.
In that one setup above, the VI1000 runs as a Dante slave without any problem since >100 shows. The SSL is the master.
The problem starts when the Digiface is the Master.

The Digiface Dante does not have control of these issues - this is all handled by the Dante Brooklyn module within the DF Dante.

That said such an error is not known, and no other issue has ever been brought up - except for multi-unit setups that require the latest firmware update 38 with changes on the unit's Mac address.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The Digiface Dante does not have control of these issues - this is all handled by the Dante Brooklyn module within the DF Dante.

Shure, all the master, slave settings is done with the Dante Controller App.

That said such an error is not known, and no other issue has ever been brought up - except for multi-unit setups that require the latest firmware update 38 with changes on the unit's Mac address.

Right now I'm on 38 but I had the same problem with the firmware before.

So you think the problem is caused by the brooklyn module?

One can never fully exclude something. In this case I just said 'never heard before', adding that your issue description lacks the relevant details:

> but when I set the Madiface as the clock master and therefore I have to set the VI as a Dante slave internally I get periodically clicks.

It should be obvioius that one needs to know WHERE these clicks occur. Input of the Soundcraft? Input of the DF Dante? Are they audible on the DF Dante Phones output when routing input to that? Or are they only found in the DF Dante recording path, means a computer/driver/interface issue?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by wolfgang62 2021-05-01 16:30:24)

The setup is:
4 Shure Quad Receiver (Dante Sync Slave)
1 SSL House Desk (Dante Sync Master)
1 Lawo Desk Broadcast (Dante Sync Slave)
1 Soundcraft Desk Intra/Internet Streaming (Dante Sync Slave)
1 MacPro, Live Professor2, RME DF Madi (Dante Sync Slave)
All the units are within a redundant Dante network and the Mac with the DF acts as a Plugin insert server for the Lawo and the Soundcraft desk.

During the show the sync setup is like above but sometimes we have to start the rehearsals without the house desk and therefore anything else has to be the master. Normally it's one of the Shure Receivers cause it' easier to set them up in the Dante controller app cause all 3 desks have different setups within the desk when they have to change the master/slave role.

Up to now, no problem at all.

One day, we just needed 6 wireless handhelds and 2 of the Shure receivers where switched off there were no selected preferred master in the Dante controller app and Dante set the DF Dante interface as the master.
From then on we had a click everywhere every second.

In the Dante controller app I set one of the working Shure receivers as the preferred master and all was fine, setting the RME as the preferred master the click comes back.

8 (edited by wolfgang62 2021-05-16 21:06:51)

OK, 14 days no answer, that means you have no idea?
It is what it is?

RME does not have that setup, so debug that issue can be difficult.
You should talk with Audinate to learn how to log that scenario.
As I'm reading, I suggest you try RME Digiface Dante with the external PSU.

Saludos Enrique.

enriquesilveti wrote:

As I'm reading, I suggest you try RME Digiface Dante with the external PSU.

It never worked without.