1 (edited by vvilms 2021-05-12 19:58:10)

Topic: Things to consider when purchasing a demo unit (UFX+)

So I recently purchased a demo unit (UFX+) from Sweetwater for a roughly $450 discount, and while the packaging was a bit scathed, the unit looked mint: No finger prints, no blemishes, nothing.

Aside from slight difficulty in locating the correct drivers for my computer, it has seemed to work as expected (if not better than).

My only question for fellow owners would be:
Is there anything I should be checking before my 30 day return period expires?

I must admit, there’s a part of me that feels like $450 more for new when making an investment I’m expecting to last a decade or more is fairly small, but I also know people gig with these units and I struggle to imagine how a previous owner of a month or so could’ve negatively impacted the life expectancy of a unit more than a trip to a from a gig would. Idk.

If anyone has any other thoughts that they think warrant sharing, I’m all ears. smile

Thanks.

2 (edited by ramses 2021-05-14 06:37:26)

Re: Things to consider when purchasing a demo unit (UFX+)

With returns, people don't always give feedback on what the reason for the return was. Either they didn't like the device or operation or potentially something was defective...

Items are tested when they are returned, but I wouldn't set my expectations too high, it will probably just be a quick check to see if everything that came with the device is still there and maybe a quick function test.

If something is missing from the scope of delivery, the buyer will probably not be refunded the entire amount, so it could be that something is also missing. Well, with an RME device that would be no big deal .. Power-, USB-, TOSLINK- cable can be purchased if needed and the manual is available in a current version for download. And you surely can get a printed manual from RME as well if you also want printed documentation.

So you could start your check by checking if the scope of delivery is complete. See manual chapter 2 "Package Contents".
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_d.pdf
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_e.pdf

In case a hardware defect was the reason for the return I would check the device all around for optical damages or if there are audible loose parts inside (turn it carefully in the air or shake it slightly, but carefully).

After that I would test all analog inputs and outputs to see if any of them are not working. Inputs could possibly have been overloaded once.

Also check all buttons and knobs.

Then I would test USB3 and Thunderbolt connection to the computer to be on the safe side, if you have both interfaces on the computer.

Digital interfaces could be checked with a loopback test. Configure the device as clock master (actually default), connect ADAT1 IN to ADAT1 OUT, do the same with ADAT2 and AEs and check in the driver settings if a synch occurs.

Check the headphone outputs and maybe MIDI and the rear USB port for ARC USB and the front one for DURec.

I think after such a thorough check you are done with the topic.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Apologies for the delay, I appreciate the check list. smile
1. Nothing was missing from the contents.
2. the unit was blemish/ fingerprint free.
3. I don't recall there being anything loose in the case when taking it out and inspecting each side before installation.
4. What symptoms would present if any of the inputs had been overloaded? ie. just inoperable or perhaps a higher noise floor or?
5. I've tested all buttons/ dials.
6. Both cables work just fine.
7. Re: ADAT out to ADAT in; I'll try this out. -- Any idea for how to test MADI?

> 4. What symptoms would present if any of the inputs had been overloaded?
> ie. just inoperable or perhaps a higher noise floor or?

Sorry, never had such a case and I do not want to speculate.

> 7. Re: ADAT out to ADAT in; I'll try this out. -- Any idea for how to test MADI?
Also a loop test like with ADAT, it only has more channels compared to ADAT.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

vvilms wrote:

4. What symptoms would present if any of the inputs had been overloaded? ie. just inoperable or perhaps a higher noise floor or?

Very unlikely to happen, certainly not with regular audio signals. A bit of "overload" does not cause damage. If an input were actually physically defective, you'd notice easily. Either no signal at all, or distortion/noise whatever....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

There have been complaints about the on/off switch failing. Mine is "racked" in the studio, and everything in the rack is behind a single off/on switch. As a result, I never touch the on/off on the UFX+.
It would be nice if RME would list the serial numbers (start-end) of the affected units.
Just sayin'...

Tom

DeeringAmps wrote:

It would be nice if RME would list the serial numbers (start-end) of the affected units.
Just sayin'...
Tom

+1 for this!

I would say I am always cynical if anything has been swapped internally. If the seller won't allow an internal inspection then it's no go. Trust me I worked years ago in retail and whilst rare, it's not unheard off.
On the flip side if you have a full 12 month warranty no worry. If anything less it's effectively second hand.
Regardless its RME so pretty robust purchase.

I must admit batch serial number should be disclosed to the public. Clear transparency which I recall Adams speakers doing as such and was a huge help.

9 (edited by vvilms 2021-05-20 00:49:49)

RME Support wrote:

certainly not with regular audio signals.

Duly noted. Is there an official threshold for how hot is too hot? Also, I often see meters going red on the unit before Totalmix with faders that are zero'd out. I also experienced one instance where input levels weren't represented on the display, but I believe that was user error in retrospect.

Hobbit wrote:

If you have a full 12 month warranty, no worry. If anything less, it's effectively second hand.
Regardless, it's RME so pretty robust purchase.

This was through Sweetwater, and they offer a 2 year warranty on all sales (including demo units).

Hobbit wrote:

I would say I am always cynical if anything has been swapped internally. If the seller won't allow an internal inspection then it's no go. Trust me I worked years ago in retail and whilst rare, it's not unheard of.

Oh whoa, I wouldn't have even considered that...

Hobbit wrote:

I must admit batch serial number should be disclosed to the public. Clear transparency which I recall Adams speakers doing as such and was a huge help.

Tbh, the only number I was able to find (on the bar code sticker) rather resembled the unit number.

DeeringAmps wrote:

There have been complaints about the on/off switch failing. Mine is "racked" in the studio, and everything in the rack is behind a single off/on switch. As a result, I never touch the on/off on the UFX+.

Oh damn. I'm not sure I'd heard of that previously. *unnerved*

DeeringAmps wrote:

Just sayin'...

I feel like that would only be a benefit to them, no? ie. Isn't brand reputation for unparalleled reliability more valuable than a short term saving of not disclosing a compromised production run window?

Hobbit wrote:

I would say I am always cynical if anything has been swapped internally. If the seller won't allow an internal inspection then it's no go. Trust me I worked years ago in retail and whilst rare, it's not unheard off.

If the warranty seal is intact, the unit hasn't been opened. Also, there's nothing to simply "swap internally" and still end up with a working unit.... Not something to really worry about here.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

If the warranty seal is intact, the unit hasn't been opened.

Where would the seal be located btw? Incase I don't need to unplug everything to double check. Maybe a photo of the seal would also help. idk

The location may vary, there's usually a small sticker on one of the case screws, which would be destroyed if the unit is opened.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME