1 (edited by bengersfood 2021-05-18 22:20:34)

Topic: TotalMix / Babyface / iMac overheating

I am running a system with a 2014 iMac (Catalina 10.15.7) and a Babyface

For the last several months I had been getting very troublesome overheating problems with the iMac - usually ending with the Mac putting itself to sleep when the temperatures get too high.

I have just discovered that if I quit TotalMix the the temperatures measured inside the iMac drop to normal levels. The moment I launch TotalMix the temperatures begin to climb steadily degree by degree

I wonder if I have some setting enabled that I shouldn't? Or if there is some known issue that I am unaware of that might case this behaviour? Any advice would be great.

Ben

Re: TotalMix / Babyface / iMac overheating

May be the software Macs Fan control can help you, it's a freeware to control the fans manually.
And also a maintenance of the iMac could be good, open the unit and clean it, all the dust out.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Re: TotalMix / Babyface / iMac overheating

Thank you for the suggestion. I am using fan control type software. And yes you are right, cleaning out dust might be an idea, although I am simply not competent to do that myself.   

But I do want to find our why opening TotalMix should suddenly make the internal temperatures jump by almost instantly by 15 degrees and then start climbing steadily? My understanding was that TotalMix did not have a big CPU load?