Topic: FF400 StandAlone Mode Issues

Dear RME-Community,

I am experiencing an issue where TotalMix FX (or the FF400) does not store the standalone settings. Let me explain my setup:

My FF400 is running in standalone mode without being connected to a computer via FireWire. I once have setup the Interface so that I do have a 1:1 routing of all eight analog channels:

• Analog 1 IN --> ADAT 1 OUT [...] Analog 8 IN --> ADAT 8 OUT

• ADAT 1 IN --> Analog 1 OUT [...] ADAT 8 IN --> Analog 8 OUT

I stored the current state via TotalMix FX into the device as described in the official RME tutorial (https://youtu.be/Oibj81QIq4s) as well as the FireFace settings itself.

My FF400 ADAT IN and OUT are connected to my Windows 10 DAW using an RME HDSPe RayDAT.
When I now connect an external Signal to the Analog Input 4 of my FF400 it should send the signal via ADAT to my HDSPe RayDAT but it does not. In fact no signal arrives at my RayDAT input.
When I connect my old MacBook Pro via FireWire 800 with my FF400 and after starting TotalMix FX on my MacBook, it all of a sudden does work.

So I don't know where the issue is: Does TotalMix FX on my MacBook do not store the settings correctly or is it possible that my FF400 does have an issue?
Any input is more than welcome!

Kind regards,
Sascha

"All the gear but no idea"
FireFace UFX + OctaMic II + QuadMic II | HDSPe RayDAT + FireFace 400

Re: FF400 StandAlone Mode Issues

Have you tried a reset of the FF400 and then testing again?

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Did you also store the whole Settings dialog stuff (clocking)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by kuebart 2021-05-21 08:44:21)

@cyrano: Not yet, will try. Layer 8 question: How do I reset the FF400?
@MC: Yes (I assume you mean the FireFace Settings window), I set everything and then clicked "Store".

The almost-standard answer to that question would be "see manual page..." ;-)

Unfortunately, I can't even find the manual for the FF400 in the archive. Nor the 800.

I suppose they could be hidden somewhere else on the new RME site, but I couldn't find the FF400 manual there either.

It's listed in the archives, but no linky...
And in the second (current) list, the FF400 isn't even present.

These lists:

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/downloads/manuals.php
https://rme-audio.de/downloads.html

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

kuebart wrote:

@MC: Yes (I assume you mean the FireFace Settings window), I set everything and then clicked "Store".

Not enough, you also need to store the mixer settings (in the Options menu).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:
kuebart wrote:

Not enough, you also need to store the mixer settings (in the Options menu).

You mean "Store current State into Device --> Flash Mixer"? I have already done that as written before.

Quick reply: It seems to work now.
The only thing I changed was that I connected my trustworthy FF400 to a second Windows PC (and not the MacBook Pro where it was originally connected to to perform the standalone config) and re-routed everything in Windows TotalMIx FX, saved everything to the current Mixer, turned off the Windows PC and then started my main DAW PC which is not connected to the FF400 at all (FF400 is only connected to HDSPe RayDAT via ADAT).
And suddenly everything works as expected wink

I want to thank you all for your help. It is amazing to see that a product I purchased in 2008 still receives such a support. RME, you're simply amazing, keep up the good work!