Topic: Filters greyed out in PEQ

Hello,

I've come across a problem with the PEQ all of a sudden, I wanted to add in a relatively complex EQ for a new headphone acquisition: the HEDDphone, but once I wanted to select filters for certain low shelves and peaks/dips only the first band has a selectable filter but the 2nd up until the 5th don't and it's simply greyed out and won't do anything.

I've added an EQ for the Arya a week before that and all filters worked fine (all peaks) and now I can select only the first band filter there as well and the other band filters are greyed out, I can still access frequency and gain on all bands, it's just the filter that refuses to change.

Running a RME ADI-2 PRO FS R connected to USB with firmware 250/102, bitrate and sample rate are 16 bits and 44KHz respectively, B/T is off, Loudness is off. Tried rebooting the device but no luck, should I try a factory reset, maybe a bug?

Re: Filters greyed out in PEQ

Just for clarification:

Do I get you right, on Band 2-5 you can‘t access:
• Filter Shape (Hi-, Lo-Pass, Shelve/Peak)?
• Q-factor?

You’re aware that the 3 middle bands don’t offer Filter Shape?

All 5 bands should offer Q-factor.

KaiS wrote:

Just for clarification:

Do I get you right, on Band 2-5 you can‘t access:
• Filter Shape (Hi-, Lo-Pass, Shelve/Peak)?
• Q-factor?

You’re aware that the 3 middle bands don’t offer Filter Shape?

All 5 bands should offer Q-factor.

Sorry I forgot about Q-factor which still works. It’s just the first band that has all filters available, the second band is greyed out also, I didn’t know the other 3 bands had filter limitations (fixed peak filter?), i couldn’t find anything about filter limitations in the manual.

I’m just trying to add lo-shelfs to band 1 and 2 and the the other bands would be regular peak/shelve filters.

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-05-20 09:24:33)

Only PEQ Band 1 has a lo-shelve option
Band 2, 3 and 4 are Peak-only.
The grey symbol on the right is just a reminder and cannot be changed.
Band 5 has a high-shelve option.

You can use the Bass/Treble controls as additional shelve-filters.

For the HEDDphone try this:

B1: ad libitum
B2: G +3.0 F 470 Q 2.0 (Peak)
B3: G: -4.0 F 710 Q 4.0 (Peak)
B4: G:+5.0 F6.0k Q 5.0 (Peak)
B5: ad libitum

This fixes the biggest flaws, based on my own experience and measurements.

5 (edited by Nicked_Wicked 2021-05-20 12:11:04)

KaiS wrote:

Only PEQ Band 1 has a lo-shelve option
Band 2, 3 and 4 are Peak-only.
The grey symbol on the right is just a reminder and cannot be changed.
Band 5 has a high-shelve option.

You can use the Bass/Treble controls as additional shelve-filters.

For the HEDDphone try this:

B1: ad libitum
B2: G +3.0 F 470 Q 2.0 (Peak)
B3: G: -4.0 F 710 Q 4.0 (Peak)
B4: G:+5.0 F6.0k Q 5.0 (Peak)
B5: ad libitum

This fixes the biggest flaws, based on my own experience and measurements.

Cheers KaiS, I’ll give your EQ a spin tonight. I know you criticised this headphone quite a bit, but they sound really impressive to my ears. Though I do also feel like somethings slightly amiss in the mid-range, hopefully your EQ preset will fix them for the most part. smile

Nicked_Wicked wrote:

Sorry I forgot about Q-factor which still works. It’s just the first band that has all filters available, the second band is greyed out also, I didn’t know the other 3 bands had filter limitations (fixed peak filter?), i couldn’t find anything about filter limitations in the manual.

It's exactly there where it should be:

12.1.2 Parametric EQ
Subpage Parametric EQ has the following entries:
EQ Enable
ON, OFF. Default: OFF.

Band 1 Type
Available settings are Peak, Shelf, High Cut and High Pass (Low Cut). All filters are adjustable from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, at a Q of 0.5 to 9.9. Cut/Pass have a fixed 12 dB/oct filter steepness.

Band 2-4 Type
Not available, fixed to Peak.

Band 5 Type
Available settings are Peak, Shelf or High Cut. High Cut is adjustable from 200 Hz to 20 kHz, at a Q of 0.5 to 5.0 and a fixed 12 dB/oct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME