Topic: assess raw playback signal without / before audio processing (EQ APO)

I want to monitor audio output under Windows with Digicheck. That works fine generally.

But I use EQ Apo to be able to filter the audio output on system level for my monitors or headphones. All processing I do on the EQ Apo level are reflected in the output signal feed to Digicheck. Is there a way to use Digicheck on signals without the influence of the audio processing I use via Equalizer Apo?

Could be by configuring DigiCheck to grab the audio signal before this goes to EQ Apo (if that is possible)?

Or could be by using DigiCheck in a DAW on the audio signal itself inside the DAW, before handed over to EQ Apo? Or by any other means...?

I tried if I can route the system audio to an output channel and via Loopback an input channel. That works, but also reflects the audio processing made with EQ Apo -- so seems to get the same processed signal as an input like when choosing "Playback" directly as the source for DigiCheck.

Current workaround is to disable all EQ Apo audio processing to be able to have the correct evaluation in DigiCheck, but of course then I loose the (significant) optimization for the monitor output I listen too. :-(

Re: assess raw playback signal without / before audio processing (EQ APO)

How is Apo receiving signals ? Can you select inputs ? You have to figure out if it is possible to have the Apo receiving the signal instead of Digicheck.
If so, then you can send your signal to both, Digicheck and Apo.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

EQ Apo is chained in the windows sound system - you select the output (not input) device. In that case Babyface-speakers. All windows audio is processed through it. That's still what I want, but I would want to have the audio be handled by Totalmix first and then go to EQ Apo, but I guess that's not possible.

4 (edited by waedi 2021-05-23 22:54:33)

rpnfan wrote:

EQ Apo is chained in the windows sound system - you select the output (not input) device. In that case Babyface-speakers. All windows audio is processed through it. That's still what I want, but I would want to have the audio be handled by Totalmix first and then go to EQ Apo, but I guess that's not possible.

Yes, then you have to choose a player or DAW where it is possible to send the signal to a selected output (wich is then a software playback channel in Totalmix).
The Apo has not a bypass channel function ?

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Your suggested solution makes no difference. All audio output in Windows goes through the APO chain. That's exactly the benefit of using that solution in general :-)

Just when using Totalmix / Digicheck this bites me, because all audio is already processed -- no matter what -- when it reaches the input of TM or Digicheck.

Sure I can turn EQ APO off, which I will have to do. But this is exactly what will allow the sound to be used in TM / Digicheck correct, but the output I hear will be totally bad, because I use EQ APO for (in that case heavily) frequency and room correction...

I just think I can also ask in the EQ APO forums. Maybe there someone has an idea, although I fear that exactly the benefit of EQ APO, being embedded so deeply in the Windows audio architecture, which is in most use cases a big plus, can be the disadvantage in my setup! :-(

From the description of the APO webpage it can't be used for ASIO and WASAPI in exclusive mode.

By this you will have always the Windows Sound System with windows kernel mixer in the audio chain.
This is IMHO not desirable, because the Windows Sound System is known to degrade audio and
does not allow for bit perfect transmission of audio.
So you degrade audio and then make room correction in that order...

As a solution I would propose
- to look for a different solution to optimize your sound / correct your room or
- to use application that support the RME ASIO driver which fully excludes the Windows Sound System and by this APO
  for bit perfect audio playback
- optimize the placement of your monitors as good as possible and then add an ADI-2 DAC / Pro to the setup
  and correct some rests by using the PEQ.

As Music Player I can strongly recommend MusicBee, which works perfect together with ASIO.
Since about a year, since I reported issues to the author, it can now even playback audio of different sample rates with ASIO.
With a remote plugin it can even be remote controlled through WLAN using an Android Smartphone / Tablet.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Somewhat late, but with Windows 11 I sometimes can not use Equalizer APO. It disables itself from time to time (after reboot).

If someone is using EQ APO or Windows in general it is helpful to read the first post here. Using EQ APO can be part of getting bit correct audio handling in Windows, by turning off "use original APO". RME does not seem to make use of any Audio Processing Objects anyways, so there is no downside. At least I found Totalmix to be working without any problems after disabling that option.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru … ate.19438/