Topic: Volume rotary encoder

My volume rotary encoder is getting a bit jumpy and i was wondering what to do about it, any suggestions? It is probably out of warranty so any suggestion is good.

Device: RME ADI-2 Pro

ADI-2 Pro  -  ADAM Audio A7X Monitors

Re: Volume rotary encoder

Contact support. Unit needs to be sent in to exchange the encoders.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hallo,
I have two RME ADI 2 DAC-s which I've bought 12/2018 and 12/2019. The first one seems to have got increasing problems of the same art like this described in some threads through the Forum (I post it here not to open a new threat)  Jumping values of volume not adequate  to the  move of the knob. I operate volume rather by remote (ca. 80%) and use the encoder more to set EQ.
Looks  like it is a quite sensible piece of hardware-this encoder. At least in my 12/2018 DAC. I hope the younger one is better.

I send my RME ADI 2 DAC for service with a hope that it was only childhood disease.

Question- How long does it take to replace an encoder ?
               Are current encoders better ?

with best regards
Still proud owner of RME ADI 2 DACs  :-)

J.L

Hallo
I've just recived my ADI-2 DAC back from service - it had problems with volume control knob. I was told that there was a problem with power supply unit. My DAC came back with some new different PSU (Zoom). It has no locking jack and is much smaller than original. As mentioned in Users Guide on page 10 the original PSU is high-quality and I am not sure what I've got now.
Furthermore is it possibile that PSU problem could cause volume encoder issues ?
I didnt test my DAC yet - it is a bit cold after transport.

Could I have some advice from forum members or RME

Best Regards
JL

What does (Zoom) mean? And where did you send your unit for service?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi. MC

Zoom is the name of the manufacturer
(I suppose) which is to be seen on this PSU
I am based in Poland but I've bought my DAC from internet portal muziker.pl which ( what I didnt know) turned out to be based in Tschechien. That's where is send my DAC
I've tried to arrange this in Poland over firm DAARS where i've bought my another RME DAC but its was impossible.
I've recived a mail from Muziker with explenation that original PSU is not available at the moment.

m.f.G
J. L

Hallo again,

as expected there is no change to better in volume control behavior after PSU was changed. What should I do ? 

J. L.

Please wait, I'm currently investigating.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Shockdoc, is the email adress valid that you used for registering here? We tried to contact you by email but got no reply.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC

I,ve foud RME mail. Sorry. My fault.
I,ll proceed according to advice three.

Thank You

JL

Thanks. Walter will try to help you in fixing this mess.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I fixed a jumpy rotary encoder on a crappy Philips micro system by opening the case to gain access to the encoder, then using a pipette to drop isopropyl alcohol into it where there is a gap in the encoder housing and turning the knob for about 30 seconds in each direction.

I don't know if this is possible with the RME DAC, I haven't opened the case or had any need to try it, but it might be worth a go if you can open the unit easily? You can't really do any damage with isopropyl alcohol.

mediummanting wrote:

I fixed a jumpy rotary encoder on a crappy Philips micro system by opening the case to gain access to the encoder, then using a pipette to drop isopropyl alcohol into it ...

Quite often I have repaired historic equipment by removing electro-mechanical parts like pots, switches and encoders, disassemble and clean them, re-grease them and mount them again.

This effort only makes sense if there is no replacement part available, which is not the case with the ADI-2.

If you are at the point of opening up the device, it’s easier just to solder in a new encoder, instead of trying to fix one that is already worn out.

mediummanting wrote:

I don't know if this is possible with the RME DAC, ... but it might be worth a go ...
You can't really do any damage with isopropyl alcohol.

Off course you can damage a lot of things with fluids inside electronics.

Even if the fluid itself does not damage anything it washes dirt into places where it adversely affect the function.

Guess what happens i.e. if you wash something into the LCD?

Layman repair tries can become quite expensive!

Hi there

I wouldn't dare to "dig" im my DAC. For me it is brain surgery.
AFAIK the time of simple soldering is over with this grade of technology RME uses.

I know about this problems with old volume knobs. Before my RME DACs replaced my vintage preamplifiers from Audio Research and Quad especially the last one had frequently issues of this kind. I also used to have a malfuncion of volume control in 6 month old Accuphase integrated amp with it's oh so famous ALPS volume Control. I must admit I don't use circular saw in my listening room - clear air.

Cheers

Of course the best solution is servicing but
it is very disappointing to see people with rme devices just two years old having problems with encoders.
One of the reasons I did choose to buy a babyface pro fs and not other brand's products with encoders was just this. The RME name somehow gave me some assurance.
And now I am worried.

Dimitris
Ryzen5 3600XT, Nvidia 1650, Win 10, Cubase 11 pro, BBF ProFS, Rode NT1a, CC121, ADA8200

I feel safe with RME. Great gear , great communication , no nonsens. Where else you will recive mail from chief becouse of some of your problems. That's client service like it's meant to be.

JL

Shockdoc wrote:

I feel safe with RME. Great gear , great communication , no nonsens. Where else you will recive mail from chief becouse of some of your problems. That's client service like it's meant to be.

JL

Encoder problem and great communication? Really?
Maybe I didn't get it. But my impression is that this was poorly handled by RME.
Also, the price they ask for replacement out of warranty is frustrating.

What make things worse is that we still see quite new devices which fail after short time of usage.

Until there is no offical statement (e. g. on website) that the problem has been recognized and tackled my trust in RME quality won't come back.
E. g. I thought about buying a Babyface Pro FS but postponed my decision because of my failing encoder on ADI-2 Pro.

Soundbar wrote:

... Also, the price they ask for replacement out of warranty is frustrating

What is the asking price in this case?

@MC
Are the encoders available from RME or 3rd party for DIY replacement?

KaiS wrote:
Soundbar wrote:

... Also, the price they ask for replacement out of warranty is frustrating

What is the asking price in this case?

@MC
Are the encoders available from RME or 3rd party for DIY replacement?

I'm sorry, but I can't disclose privat communication.
You have to ask RME about the cost.

My RME ADI-2 DAC FS I purchased from B&H in New York City on June 21, 2019 has an encoder jumping the volume unexpectedly while turning. A turn to increase the volume may actually decrease it and it behaves very unexpectedly. I read several others report the same issue. I am wondering if RME will fix it without a charge given that this looks like a defective encoder supply problem and not a one off "lemon". It is very disappointing that a DAC that costs over $1,000 can develop this problem in less than 2 years. Please let me know. Thank you.

21 (edited by Shockdoc 2021-03-13 08:01:13)

Hi there,

my problems with volume encoder are solved after RME service. DAC runs great again.
I wish there were more firms with such approach to customer like RME. Here you don't
need to run great recording studio with 50K$ gear inside to be taken seriously.

Thanks - MC , Mr.Reh and all involved

JL

22 (edited by hadadzhi 2021-05-21 19:57:41)

Hi!
I've been having a problem with the main/volume encoder for some time now and it's getting worse. My country is not on the list https://www.rme-audio.de/support.html and the unit is nearly 2 years old (probably out of warranty).
Who/what do I contact for (possibly paid) service?

23 (edited by N00b 2021-05-27 13:04:34)

Shockdoc wrote:

Hallo,
[...]
[...]

Would be interested in the answer too smile
For information, my encoder has been replaced more than one year ago (under warranty), and so far so good. smile

Shockdoc wrote:

Still proud owner of RME ADI 2 DACs  :-)

Here too!

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

24 (edited by rickytsang 2021-07-05 11:51:09)

N00b wrote:
Shockdoc wrote:

Hallo,
[...]
[...]

Would be interested in the answer too smile
For information, my encoder has been replaced more than one year ago (under warranty), and so far so good. smile

Would very much like to know too. In fact my ADI-2 PRO (non-FS, bought in late 2017) developed the same problem early on, but as it was very minor at the beginning, I was too careless to have ignored it until it was too late. Now it struggles a lot to change volume. Sigh...

Otherwise I simply LOVE my ADI-2 PRO and would even like to upgrade to FS version with remote. Yet the volume problem stopped me from selling the old gear, and at the same time I am weary that the new version will still have this volume problem. If the fix is reasonably costed and effective, I wouldn't mind to pay (to minimize my loss).

Would love to hear any first hand experience!

Macbook | Rega Planet | Technics SL-1200G > RME ADI-2 PRO FS R > Neumann KH 80 DSP

25 (edited by ning 2021-07-05 13:18:15)

The encoder is an alps EC11E15244G1 available on mouser: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Al … U2EALw_wcB

Rene's RME parts shop also carries them: https://www.rme-shop.com/cgi-bin/sh0018 … ml#SID=113

for those with soldering skills replacing is fairly doable.

Though for people under warranty and are able to get support easily, it's highly recommended to contact your dealer to fix it.