1 (edited by plattfusz 2021-05-27 21:58:41)

Topic: RME Babyface Pro FS no Sound in Cubase >= 10.5

Hello i'm using Cubase 10.5 (although tried 11) with a RME Babyface Pro FS on a AMD System with a Asus x470 Crosshair 7 Hero Board. With the last two Firmware Updates for the Babyface my Problems feels to get worst, but i don’t want to blame the Driver/Firmware.

Under Windows or Reaper (but i only tried Reaper to reproduce the Problem) i have no Problems.
But with Cubase i don’t get any Input or Output Signals any more… the Channel Routing is correct.
It looks like the ASIO Driver is crashing. At the beginning the Problems seems only to occurs when some of the cef Library from Google is running in the Background like Chrome or Drive etc… When I killed the Tasks the Audio Performance Monitor in Cubase was running again. Now directly after starting Cubase there is no working VST or Audio activity even in an empty Project. When I removing a Channel from the Routing and add it again and remove it again and add it again and remove it again and add it again and remove it again… … … … … … … … … … … … … and add it again suddenly the Audi Performance Monitor shows up activity again and it works mostly until restart Cubase. But in the last time nothing helps to get it to work.

I tried different Settings and Buffers Sizes… I removed all RME Driver (even by hand) and reinstalled them. I tried renaming Folders of Cubase etc… I contacted the Cubase Support and followed all the Standard-Protocol they send me… Nothing helped… I tried different USB Ports… Updated the BIOS the Board-Drivers… etc.. etc.. etc…

I have although a Fireface 400 and Saffire Pro 24 DSP… With them I have no Problems… From the beginning I although noticed a slightly worst performance from the Babyface as with the Fireface not by Numbers but by VST activity…

Is there any way to debug the hole thing or something like that?

Best regards...

Re: RME Babyface Pro FS no Sound in Cubase >= 10.5

> the Channel Routing is correct.
What channel routing do you mean ? in Totalmix ?
Or in Cubase / Devices / VST Connections (select input and output channels of the interface) ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

plattfusz wrote:

Hello i'm using Cubase 10.5 (although tried 11) with a RME Babyface Pro FS on a AMD System with a Asus x470 Crosshair 7 Hero Board. With the last two Firmware Updates for the Babyface my Problems feels to get worst, but i don’t want to blame the Driver/Firmware.

Under Windows or Reaper (but i only tried Reaper to reproduce the Problem) i have no Problems.
But with Cubase i don’t get any Input or Output Signals any more… the Channel Routing is correct.
It looks like the ASIO Driver is crashing. At the beginning the Problems seems only to occurs when some of the cef Library from Google is running in the Background like Chrome or Drive etc… When I killed the Tasks the Audio Performance Monitor in Cubase was running again. Now directly after starting Cubase there is no working VST or Audio activity even in an empty Project. When I removing a Channel from the Routing and add it again and remove it again and add it again and remove it again and add it again and remove it again… … … … … … … … … … … … … and add it again suddenly the Audi Performance Monitor shows up activity again and it works mostly until restart Cubase. But in the last time nothing helps to get it to work.

I tried different Settings and Buffers Sizes… I removed all RME Driver (even by hand) and reinstalled them. I tried renaming Folders of Cubase etc… I contacted the Cubase Support and followed all the Standard-Protocol they send me… Nothing helped… I tried different USB Ports… Updated the BIOS the Board-Drivers… etc.. etc.. etc…

I have although a Fireface 400 and Saffire Pro 24 DSP… With them I have no Problems… From the beginning I although noticed a slightly worst performance from the Babyface as with the Fireface not by Numbers but by VST activity…

Best regards...

Please send 3 screenshots from Cubase to make your settings clear
a) Press F4, from Inputs and Outputs
b) Studio -> Studio Settings (select Audiosystem -> <ASIOdriver>

You should see audio in Cubase mixer (F3) on those ports which you configured as Inputs and Outputs in Cubase.
Of course only, if there is audio on those input/output channels.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

waedi wrote:

>Cubase / Devices / VST Connections (select input and output channels of the interface)

Yes smile

What does yes mean ? Problem solved ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:
plattfusz wrote:

Best regards...

Please send 3 screenshots from Cubase to make your settings clear
a) Press F4, from Inputs and Outputs
b) Studio -> Studio Settings (select Audiosystem -> <ASIOdriver>

You should see audio in Cubase mixer (F3) on those ports which you configured as Inputs and Outputs in Cubase.
Of course only, if there is audio on those input/output channels.

I made Screenshots already before I made my post but I’m to stupid to attach them…
On moment please...

7 (edited by plattfusz 2021-05-28 12:02:51)

Okay... i'm to stupid to embed them...
Hope this Link will help
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nuoh9heybm2s … 2OFva?dl=0

With the Settings in the Screenshots I create an empty Projekt in 96Khz and import a Wave to listen to it and then I get a “ASIO Driver” not active Exception…

ramses wrote:

What does yes mean ? Problem solved ?

Sorry... no i mean the channel routing in Cubase...

Yeah you may not be routed to an output. If you change anything in connections you can lose the channel routing. Check the channel is routed to the main out and that is touted to the actual bf outputs.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

10 (edited by plattfusz 2021-06-02 16:08:36)

I tried to made a quick Video
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nuoh9heybm2s … Cubase.mp4
The Webplayer is a little bit blury... for a better quality you should donwload it.

While Cubase is playing this sound, how does Totalmix look ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

12 (edited by plattfusz 2021-06-04 13:03:25)

waedi wrote:

I made a new Video smile
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wquvnjg8g5bx … x.mp4?dl=0
At the beginning TotalMix with Cubase connected RME no Sound
In the middle TotalMix with Cubase RME not connected no Sound (of course)
At the end TotalMix with Cubase RME connected Sound

13 (edited by ramses 2021-06-04 13:06:39)

plattfusz wrote:
waedi wrote:

I made a new Video smile
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3wquvnjg8g5bx … x.mp4?dl=0
At the beginning TotalMix with Cubase Connected RME no Sound
In the middle TotalMix with Cubase RME not Connected no Sound (of course)
At the end TotalMix with Cubase RME Connected Sound

You see audio coming from DAW to SW playback channel AN 1/2.

As you selected HW Ouput AN 1/2 (bottom line) in submix mode, you see now the submix for output AN 1/2.

The fader of SW playback channel AN 1/2 (middle row) is at 0dB, thats ok.

But the fader position of the HW output AN 1/2 is down .. this is your final volume towards your monitors (which are behind AN1/2 I would guess .. right ?!). If you turn that fader down you hear nothing. Works as designed.

ramses wrote:

You see audio coming from DAW to SW playback channel AN 1/2.

As you selected HW Ouput AN 1/2 (bottom line) in submix mode, you see now the submix for output AN 1/2.

The fader of SW playback channel AN 1/2 (middle row) is at 0dB, thats ok.

But the fader position of the HW output AN 1/2 is down .. this is your final volume towards your monitors (which are behind AN1/2 I would guess .. right ?!). If you turn that fader down you hear nothing. Works as designed.

I made a new Video where i unpluged my active Monitors and set HW AN 1/2 to 0db... The Web Viewer is a little bit blurry... perhaps you can download the video...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybdyw30pzirdr … w.mp4?dl=0
The fader wasn't down it was at -52.9db because my Monitors are very loud...

15 (edited by plattfusz 2021-06-04 17:20:41)

I don't know ... it looks like the ASIO driver has problems and by changing the connection back and forth in Cubase it suddenly works again, for a while

Of course when in TotalMix appears a Signal on Software Playback AN 1/2 i have also a Audio Signal on the Speakers. But at the start it doesn't work and changing the connection back and forth for a while in Cubase can't be right and after some times it stops working again. Of course it could be my system. But i have only the problems with Cubase and the Babyface, not with my Fireface, not with my Saffire, not with my Avid MBox Pro, not with ASIO 4 all and the Onboard-Soundcard. The Fireface, Saffire and MBox are Firewire Interfaces so i followed all the Instructions in the Babyface Manual for Troubleshoting with USB. Under Windows i have no problems at all. If there is a way i could debug something... i would love to do.