Topic: Fireface UCX : More than 2 midi instruments

Hi,

I'm wondering what would be the best solution to use more than two midi instruments with my fireface UCX.
Could I use an additional midi interface (like motu micro) with the UCX ? If so how could I plug the midi interface with the UCX ? Or am i supposed to give up on the ucx midi ports and use only a midi interface directly plugged to my computer ?

Thanks in advance for your help

2 (edited by ramses 2021-06-01 10:31:44)

Re: Fireface UCX : More than 2 midi instruments

Sorry, but I don't understand the problem. MIDI supports 16 channels.

Then you can connect and theoretically control 16 different devices on the 16 different channels independently of each other.

But in practice you need a midi-thru socket on every device (except the last one in the chain) so that the signal is passed on to the next device. Or you need a device that provides this functionality. Quick note: the more devices, the more and longer cables there is also a chance of signal degradation / loss. But in principle you can connect multiple devices up to 16.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks a lot, I begin understand what midi thru is all about now big_smile
Sadly only my oberheim sem has a midi thru port, so as far as I understand I wont be able to daisy chain all my synth using midi thru. The other solution would be a midi thru unit to make a star network if I understood correctly.
Anyway thanks a lot for the answer smile

esgn wrote:

Thanks a lot, I begin understand what midi thru is all about now big_smile
Sadly only my oberheim sem has a midi thru port, so as far as I understand I wont be able to daisy chain all my synth using midi thru. The other solution would be a midi thru unit to make a star network if I understood correctly.
Anyway thanks a lot for the answer smile

Maybe something like this could help you :
https://www.thomannmusic.ch/kenton_midi_thru_5.htm

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue