1 (edited by Some_Dud 2021-06-04 19:18:08)

Topic: Babyface Pro FS - quality problems

Recently I have bought Babyface Pro FS, unboxed it today and noticed, that SELECT (and a bit SET) button is much louder than DIM button and resonates with chassis a bit. Encoder is very soft - I can feel steps, but they are very subtle. The monitor output level switch at the back is not orange, but WHITE and a bit dirty in something black.

I never owned RME products before, so I would like to ask if it's ok or not.

UPD: Encoder is drifting a little bit - sometimes it changes value 1 step back from direction of rotation and instantly 1 step forward, sometimes it jumps forward (1 - 2 more than needed). As I noticed, encoder has 30 positions, so, by some reason, it guarateed to glitch on transition between positions 14 - 15 (exactly this order) clockwise - it goes 1 step back mid-switch, then goes 1 step forward when finishing switch to position 15. This was observed through TotalMix on Windows.

Just in case, interface was shipped with firmware version 125.

UPD: serial number displaying is probably releated to operating system.

https://i.ibb.co/DQM9Vrc/1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/zskCFWG/4.png
https://i.ibb.co/NVQRnWH/3.png

Re: Babyface Pro FS - quality problems

There are no fake Babyfaces, the unit is working normally.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Some_Dud 2021-06-04 14:15:15)

RME Support wrote:

Good day. In this situation there is no serial number visible anywhere digitally when you connect it to computer, so... Has it been erased or flashed from controller which is responsible for device representation? There is always a serial number displayed in header of TotalMix window with any RME device. Please look closely on last screenshot again - instead of serial number "1" is displayed and in Ableton audio device selection instead of "Babyface Pro "serial number" 14 in 14 out" there is "ASIO Fireface USB". Please, provide explanation about this.

I have a new boxed sealed bf pro fs and it is exactly the same in  TMfx en settings. Also called fireface usb settings. So everything is fine. I will not check my encoder. If it behaves the same I will worry and I haven't noticed it in normal use.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Some_Dud wrote:
RME Support wrote:

Good day. In this situation there is no serial number visible anywhere digitally when you connect it to computer, so... Has it been erased or flashed from controller which is responsible for device representation? There is always a serial number displayed in header of TotalMix window with any RME device. Please look closely on last screenshot again - instead of serial number "1" is displayed and in Ableton audio device selection instead of "Babyface Pro "serial number" 14 in 14 out" there is "ASIO Fireface USB". Please, provide explanation about this.

I think you are confusing the MAC and Windows drivers. Only on Mac you will see a serial number listed. Windows uses ASIO devices.

6 (edited by waedi 2021-06-04 14:37:43)

Have you tried selecting sample rates when all other software is down ?
May be Ableton is blocking something while running ?
And from where got you that the switch on the back-side should be orange ? Never seen it other than white.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

mark.cull wrote:
Some_Dud wrote:
RME Support wrote:

I think you are confusing the MAC and Windows drivers. Only on Mac you will see a serial number listed. Windows uses ASIO devices.

Yes, probably you are right, I watched video review and it was with Mac OS. Didn't know it.

Taking everything into account - probably there are no problems with serial number and it's original, but...

Encoder is very glitchy and worn out. It's unbelievable to be installed on 700 euro interface. Also, buttons SELECT and SET buttons are considerably louder than other buttons. I already sent it back to dealer and going to try to buy normal exemplar again soon.

9 (edited by Some_Dud 2021-06-04 19:38:52)

lightbox wrote:
Some_Dud wrote:

... minimal sample rate is 48 by some reason instead of 32

It's quite difficult to help if you get confused with totally different things. wink
What you're talking about is the buffer size, not the sample rate. Buffer size goes down to 48 Samples on the Babyface Pro, this is correct behaviour.
The sample rate setting is a bit further down in the "Clock Mode" box. it is greyed out and you can't change it because the audio interface is currently in use.

I made a mistake, yes, I meant minimal buffer size, and it indeed should be 32 instead of 48. Watch this video at 10:04 - https://youtu.be/B08Qwyh7rnY

Is there something that I don't understand again?

10 (edited by waedi 2021-06-04 19:50:52)

The video is blurr not possible to read out buffer size and the language of the speaker is unknown to me.
When you say the DIM and SELECT button are louder, what do you mean ?
Are they making a pop sound out of the loudspeaker ?
Or do you mean the tiny click from the hardware inside ?
The buttons are bigger than the other buttons, it is to expect inside is a more robust switch making a little louder click ?
And may you consider editing the post 10 ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

11 (edited by Some_Dud 2021-06-04 20:13:48)

waedi wrote:

The video is blurr not possible to read out buffer size and the language of the speaker is unknown to me.
When you say the DIM and SELECT button are louder, what do you mean ?
Are they making a pop sound out of the loudspeaker ?
Or do you mean the tiny click from the hardware inside ?
The buttons are bigger than the other buttons, it is to expect inside is a more robust switch making a little louder click ?
And may you consider editing the post 10 ?

SELECT and SET buttons were much louder than DIM and other buttons when pressed.

lightbox wrote:
Some_Dud wrote:

Watch this video at 10:04 - https://youtu.be/B08Qwyh7rnY

Is there something that I don't understand again?

On Mac things work differently. There is no ASIO or WDM on a Mac ... one of the more obvious differences is that buffersize is controlled (set) in the application (DAW). On a Windows machine, buffersize is a global setting in the Fireface USB Settings. 48 is the minimum buffersize of the Babyface Pro on a Windows machine.

Oh, ok, thank you very much for explanation.