Topic: UFX+ CPU overhead in Ableton Live and general performance

Hi guys,

My mid 2015 macbook pro is on it's last legs I fear... lots of things indicating that it is dying...

I hoped it would last until de M1 machines were out but no, it is dying NOW... :-/

I am thinking of splashing quit a bit of money for a new 16 with 32 gigs of ram, the top processor, 5600m graphics and 2tb.

The geekbench difference between that and my current machine aren't that great in single processor but double in multi.

At the moment I am struggling running pianoteq7 and a few audio tracks at 128 which is the limit for me in terms of latency...

Do you think the new machine will make a drastic improvement?

Thanks in advance!

F.

Re: UFX+ CPU overhead in Ableton Live and general performance

M1 Macbook Pro has already been released at 13" size. Do you mean 15" size?  The rumor is the larger 14/15/16 inch will be unveiled at WWDC next monday, the 7th of June. They may not be available immediately for sale, but I still think it's worth waiting, unless you have software/plugins that only run on Intel processors.

The 16" from last year will certainly well outperform your 2015 machine, and you may be able to find a really good deal on one in the days following WWDC on ebay as folks will want to upgrade.

Either way, for your wallet, wait a few days!!

Thanks for your reply, I will try to wait for a few days...  My main issue is that I really want to get the 5600m graphics to avoid the fan noise and because I am running a secondary monitor and it is pretty difficult to get hold of...  And also, I dont want to push my mid 2015 too far so that it dies...

I've got the 2020 16" machine with 5600M graphics and whilst this GPU runs 6-10C cooler than the 5500 (which I also had), these machines still run VERY hot and thermal throttling IS an issue.  I'm holding out for an M1 MBP with decent specs and ports.  I know this doesn't help you right now but I'd recommend that you try to hold out for another week to see if there's any news on new M1 MBP models. With this being said, every M1 user I've spoken to is having to run their audio software in Rosetta Mode because there are so many plugins that still haven't been updated for Apple Silicon.