Topic: hdsp9632-rme UCX

Hi All
I am always wondering if this is possible?
Make the analog outs on both units work on the same computer at the same time?
Is it possible somehow?
Thanks

Re: hdsp9632-rme UCX

UCX standalone connected via adat to the 9632 card.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks ,sir!
But i cant get it to work.
I connected the ADAT cable out from the HDSP to the in -UCX but thats as far as i got.And it doesnt work.
So than i tried a Ferrowfish Pulse 16 ,but no luck either.
Can you explain in farmers terms what i have to do next,please?.
I would really appreciate it
Do i have to do anything with clock settings ect?
Thanks!

4 (edited by ramses 2021-06-09 22:24:04)

Connect two TOSLINK cables
(1) 9632 ADAT OUT ----> UCX ADAT IN
(2) 9632 ADAT IN  <---- UCX ADAT IN

In the driver settings dialog for each of the devices
- configure 9632 to act as clock master (clock source = internal)
- configure UCX to act as clock slave (clock source = ADAT or optical you will see the proper name in the pulldown menue)

Clock signal is always being transferred by an ADAT output port.
Therefore you need the cable "(1)" in this case where 9632 is the clock master.

You can also search the forum, this question has been answered already more often.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you,sir!
Never knew that i would have to use 2 cables.
I used a cheap Behringer converter years ago but that needed only the one cable out of the UCX and into the converter.
You mean?:
out of the 9632 and into the UCX and then out of the UCX and into the 9632?
Thank you!

If you only want to use the UCX as AD converter, you don't strictly need the two-way connection (if the UCX can be clock master and you don't need to change sample rates, otherwise it's better).

What you do need, though, is to route signal in Totalmix (UCX) from analog in to ADAT out and (if necessary) vice versa. The UCX does not simply do this automatically. You will find some help for standalone configuration here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oibj81QIq4s (you don't need to manually flash mixer and Settings window configuration, though, this is not required here).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

7 (edited by ramses 2021-06-10 18:48:12)

I thought you want to use 9632 as primary interface as you didn't tell any preference from your side...

I suggested to use two cables for two reasons:
a) as you "might" want to send and receive audio, one TOSLINK cable can transfer audio into into one direction
b) as you need the 2nd one for clock synchronization from clock master to clock slave

(and assumed you do not want to use WC (word clock))

Make a drawing and maybe then while drawing you understand better.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Okay, here is my situation.
I only use analog outputs for playback for Hauptwerk , not any recording ect,ect
For years i was using UCX,worked good
then switched to the 9632 installed the 9632,all working good for 2ch analog
then i added the extension card which gave me 4 more analog ch,and thats all working fine.
So now i want to add 4 more analog ch through the UCX as ADAT,
Whats the most simple way to do this?

Pedro, this has nothing to do with difficult or easy, but what you want to achieve with your setup, because you can use both the 9632 and the UCX as the main interface. Both has pros and cons.

Maybe you should take the time and just think about it yourself for a while, which possibilities or limitations arise from it, depending on which card you use as the main interface...

Now that I've had a little more time to think about it, contrary to my first recommendation, I would advise you to use the UCX as your main interface because it has the most channels and FX effects besides ADAT. ADAT is limited to 8 channels, so this appears to me more practical to send the fewer number of analog channels of the 9632 through ADAT to the main interface UCX.

But the rest is exactly the same....

Use the UCX as main interface and best as clock master, because then you can select the sample rate in the project settings in the DAW. The main interface (UCX) then gets exactly this sample rate set through the ASIO driver and the interfaces that are connected behind it via ADAT (the "clock slaves") then get their clock via the incoming ADAT connection.

Since you surely also want to route analog channels via ADAT to the main interface UCX, you also need a 2nd TOSLINK cable from the 9632 to UCX. Therefore just 2 cables.

So i would have to have both the 9632 and UCX driver installed on my computer?

Yes, UCX and HDSPe driver.  Then you have the ASIO driver settings dialog for both interfaces and can control also settings of the 9632 card which has (as a PCIe card) no stand-alone operation mode.