1 (edited by vvilms 2021-06-11 03:59:53)

Topic: Heat management in a rack (UFX+)

Firstly, I'd like to apologize if this has been covered previously. I ran a few searches on the topic, but nothing glaring popped up.

I'm currently putting together a rack and I'm wondering about heat management. Especially out of a concern for caring for my RME UFX+ as best I can:

I have a 4U space that I'd like it to share with Tiptop Audio's Happy Ending Kit, which will house 84HP of euro. I'd initially planned to place the RME below the modular, as I know hot air rises, and I'd like the most expensive piece (by quite a ways) to be in the safest spot, but as patch cables are sure to droop and block access, I figure the most ergonomic position would be on top.

My question: Is there any documentation on what kind of temperatures RME's are built to withstand. Are there any tips or tricks on how to manage heat in a case?

Thanks so much for your time.

Re: Heat management in a rack (UFX+)

I wouldn’t have thought that normal heat in a case would be an issue but can understand you wanting to care for such an expensive piece of equipment.

I racked 3 devices (UFX+, XTC, 12Mic) into a 4 RU, so that there is a little space around each of the devices. As the compact rack has only a depth of 23cm, there is enough airflow.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

4 (edited by CrispyChips 2021-06-11 20:37:59)

Hi vvilms, congratulations on having the good sense to be actively considering this important aspect of equipment health.

As you may be aware, generally the most common causes of electronic equipment failure are due to repeated switching on and off and excessive heat.

Many people think that heat rises, it doesn’t. Whilst hot air does rise, heat (and in particular, heat in racks) tends to be highly localised, hence the use of heat sinks.

Not being privy to your specific situation and layout, I merely share what I have done, which is to use a strong, open rack, with a complete unit’s space above, below and between each of the four units that form the main audio processor, preamps and multi-power supply, which switches everything on.

For decades I have built my own computers for music production and general use (fourteen machines, normally four large hard drives in each, partitioned in two halves) and in that time only had three hardware failures (three drives that eventually reached a natural end. (Mean Time Before Failure).  No problem as files were backed up in three separate places.

I regard this good reliability as the reward of great diligence in regard to each singular component chosen, with zero weak links throughout, and very careful consideration regarding cooling air flow throughout.

So, believe that if, as you seem to be doing, you follow a similar philosophy, with careful attention to detail; doing all you reasonably can to alleviate heat, you will reap a similar reward in extending the life of your equipment.

I have a number of these to finish the look of the rack. Their quality belies their extremely modest price point.

https://www.studiospares.com/accessorie … 460170.htm

My Music Computers have all been numbered, CoolMusic 1 etc.

Their titles reflect a perspicuously objective reality.

In the musical world, you need to be “cool”. smile

Apologies for the delay in responding to all of this. I *truly* appreciate all of your thoughts.

I finished up constructing the rack last night. Here’s a few shots of the current lay out:
https://imgur.com/a/8rW6bJ4

I know I’d mentioned I’d wanted the RME to share the same set of rails as the euro, for ease of access to each, but in the end, I felt it was more crucial that the euro be able to travel patched, and the rear panel lid is much more recessed than the front. Thus, the RME is sitting atop the Ebtech (which is unpowered and thus hopefully not super heated), and as many suggested, I’ve left a gap above the RME for now.

Eventually, I’d like to add something like a Ferrofish A16 MKII CV and maybe a saturation unit, but that’s pretty much it.

Cheers. smile