Topic: Proposal install dialog -to make install easier for new RME customers
I think it would be worth considering adding additional setup dialogs to the TM FX Installer in order to provide the best possible support, especially for new RME customers, during the initial installation and thus to help over known pitfalls during setup.
We all know (or should know) that you should first read the installation instructions in the manuals when you start up / install the system for the first time. But we also know that some people prefer to approach things intuitively "learning by doing" and probably don't even know at that point why they would have better read the manual upfront. Possibly because the products that they had before RME just didn't have that many features and, for example, set up audio for Windows by default as part of the installation procedure (I think Focusrite does so), which is with RME a separate step in the Settings dialog and what you should know, but at the beginning do not know (and maybe even do not necessarily expect it).
Sure, you could insist on it and refer to the manual, which has put a lot of work into it, it's a great manual, no question about it.
But you could perhaps also consider giving new customers a more pleasant, easier entry by working towards a well-executable basic installation during the TM FX driver installation, so that afterwards - magic magic - it simply works for the usual audio playback through OS, Browser, DAW.
In my opinion, it would not even take that many steps / efforts to perform this. Here a few thoughts:
A) General question whether a user wants to perform a new setup of TM FX
EDIT: should be user selectable, because the one wants perhaps only a driver update and keep current config,
the other wants perhaps a new basic config after plugging monitors to a different HW output.
B) Query for Expert Settings
- if Expert settings, then query whether TM FX Full or DAW mode should be set up
- Standard settings, no "limited DAW mode"
C) If Full mode, then the following TM FX Full mode specific settings
1. Query to which port the active monitors are connected
2. Query to which port Phones1 are connected
3. Automatically assign ports for "Main Out" and "Phones1"
4. Choose a defensive level for Main Out and Phones1 (e.g. -30 dB) (*)
5. Mixer Reset "Straight Playback with all to Main Out"
6. TM FX Preferences to "Always init DSP devices with TM FX settings" so that the (sometimes annoying) questions are not asked when booting
7. Pre-assign snapshot 1 with routing to Main Out
8. Pre-assign snapshot 2 with routing to Phones1
9. Save this setup in a free Workspace Quick Select slot as an initial setup
10. Have the snapshot and workspace settings stored on the computer so that you have a backup of them on the computer that you can use again and again
Then in Windows Sound:
11. Store the ports for Main Out and Phones in WDM settings
12. Set up the port for Main Out as the main speaker port
Some adjustments for DAW mode (then a few steps are not required).
Same for Apple (without windows specific parts like WDM driver setup).
(*) Additionally would cover the issues that some people had when having level mismatches (loud monitors).
I think these are the biggest pain points if somebody is new to RME and TM FX.
EDIT: even if not everything could be completely implemented, perhaps one or the most important part of it.
EDIT2: maybe a dialog which supports the user to find the proper volume for connected active monitors starting from infinity towards 0 dB and then using this value as default volume in the TM FX control room for the main monitors.