1 (edited by starman 2021-06-30 07:20:35)

Topic: Recording crackling after fresh Windows 10 install

I reinstalled Windows 10 earlier today, and for some reason applications like Google Chrome, Discord, and anything else that does not directly use the ASIO driver are having a very strange problem with the input. Everything that is recorded has a lot of audio crackling, and sometimes warping. In Discord the input volume appears to be going from 0 to the regular amount every 1/2 second. This does not happen in Reaper when using the ASIO driver, so I am thinking that there is some setting I have not changed in Windows 10 that is causing this. Here is what I have done so far:

• Reinstalled the RME drivers
    Disabled audio enhancements in Windows sound settings
    Unchecked exclusive mode in Windows sound settings
    Verified that the sample rate and bit depth match between Fireface USB and Windows sound settings
    Changed various settings in my UEFI (C-states, CPPC, etc)
    Changed the power plan and installed Process Lasso to change audiodg.exe's priority to high
    Disabled secure boot, DMA protection, and TSME in the UEFI
    Tried 3 different BIOS versions
    Reinstalled the AMD chipset driver
    Tried USB 2.0, USB 3.0, and USB 3.1 ports
    Disabled Core Isolation, Memory Integrity, etc in GPO

My PC specs are:
Ryzen 7 5800X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi
32 GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Nvidia RTX 3090
Using Qudelix 5K for headphone out but RME Babyface Pro FS for everything else
The mic I am using is Shure SM7B

I am on Windows 10 21H2 (OS Build 19043.1081)

This is only happening with the input. Everything sounds fine coming out of the Babyface. Maybe the solution is very simple and I just forgot to change a setting in Totalmix FX or Fireface USB on this new installation?

Re: Recording crackling after fresh Windows 10 install

What ASIO buffersize do you use ? Does it help to increase the ASIO buffersize to e.g. 512 ?

What does LatencyMon tell, are there drivers in use, that cause high DPC latencies ?

Do you have Wireless or Bluetooth in use/activated ?

For my nVidia HW I get better results (slightly less DPC) when using the Studio (not gameready) driver, not latest version, but 462.31

In Win10 Processor scheduling config: does it help to priotize for background services (which sets a fix and longer time quantum for windows scheduler), see my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … es-or-not/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

What ASIO buffersize do you use ? Does it help to increase the ASIO buffersize to e.g. 512 ?

What does LatencyMon tell, are there drivers in use, that cause high DPC latencies ?

Do you have Wireless or Bluetooth in use/activated ?

For my nVidia HW I get better results (slightly less DPC) when using the Studio (not gameready) driver, not latest version, but 462.31

In Win10 Processor scheduling config: does it help to priotize for background services (which sets a fix and longer time quantum for windows scheduler), see my blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … es-or-not/

It happens on every buffer size from 96 to 2048. Before I reinstalled Windows I could do 96 with no issues, but this has the problem on every buffer size.

LatencyMon says that the Nvidia kernel mode driver (nvlddmkm.sys) is the one with the highest execution time (987.350 µs). Another interesting this is I only ran it for 4 minutes and had 26 hard pagefaults with 14 of them apparently being from 1password. Here are some screenshots of LatencyMon https://imgur.com/a/a2i4w8j

I have both the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi adapters disabled.

I am also using the Studio driver, although I am using the latest version (471.11). I will try 462.31, maybe it's just that.

I'll try the scheduling config after I install the older Nvidia Studio driver. Thank you for your suggestions, I really do appreciate it smile

Have you changed the power plan to high performance and gone through other windows tweaks?

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

mkok wrote:

Have you changed the power plan to high performance and gone through other windows tweaks?

Yep. I seemed to have fixed it by updating Windows again, it is performing as expected now. No idea why my other attempts at updating didn't work earlier

6 (edited by ramses 2021-06-30 09:34:13)

Good.
BTW in Windows 10 you can enable an ultimate performance mode. Google.
But then you should disable still manually energy saving on the USB port (best/proactive) in powerplan adv settings.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I just re-read your post and you had installed windows on that day. I have found you need to leave the pc on and force updates. Even then it may not get the right video driver. Mine turned up around an hour later and a couple of reboots. Some things just seem to take while after an install. My Roland TD30 which is an automatic driver took a few hours before it appeared. It did t used to be like this but it seems it is these days.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.