1 (edited by yeahtuna 2021-07-02 11:08:19)

Topic: BabyFace Pro FS w/ Cubase -- No audio

When opening a project (which has a single mono track with no effects), about 75% of the time, it seems to open without issue but I have no sound in Cubase from the Babyface, both when monitoring an input or playing back a track.  No VU's move at all.

In total FX I can see the VU meters for my microphone, but no VU for audio playback from Cubase.  Opening and closing Cubase a few times usually fixes the issue, but it's very frustrating.  Here are my specs.  And I'm attaching some screenshots as well.

Windows 10 Pro 64
Cubase 8.5 x64
Firewire USB Driver 1.212
Hardware revision 125
http://www.audiofront.net/rme_driver.png
http://www.audiofront.net/rme_cubase.png

Re: BabyFace Pro FS w/ Cubase -- No audio

Is the issue reproducible with other software, e.g. Reaper?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I use Ableton Live 9 frequently without issue.

Can you provide a photo from the Outputs ?
VST Connections Outputs ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Your hardware revision is not the lates. You are on 125 and the latest is 130. I’m not saying that is the problem but worth updating.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

You posted only the input dialoque. Check the Outputs / Controlroom connection settings.

7 (edited by yeahtuna 2021-07-03 02:19:34)

mkok wrote:

Your hardware revision is not the lates. You are on 125 and the latest is 130. I’m not saying that is the problem but worth updating.

I think the hardware revision is not something I can control.

Here are some more screenshots.  Notice that Total FX is showing input on the microphone but Cubase is not.
https://www.audiofront.net/rme_outputs.png

https://www.audiofront.net/rme_studio.png

I just tested with Reaper.  I opened and closed a similar project with a single audio track 20 times without issue.

Hello!

yeahtuna wrote:

I think the hardware revision is not something I can control.

Yes, you can!  https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_win.zip

Hardware Revision is the Firmware Version! By running the Flash Update Tool, you can update it!

Can you, also, post an image of the "Studio" Tab of Cubase?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Ill try and update the firmware.  A pic of the studio tab is included in one of my previous posts in this thread.

I've updated the firmware to version 130 and the issue persists.

yeahtuna wrote:

A pic of the studio tab is included in one of my previous posts in this thread.

Ooops, sorry! It was in the lower part of the image and I missed it!

yeahtuna wrote:

I've updated the firmware to version 130 and the issue persists.

Hmm, how many WDM Devices have you set up?
If you have 1 active for windows, can you set it to "0" and check with Cubase, again?
You can set it back to "1", after the test!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

13 (edited by yeahtuna 2021-07-03 04:57:50)

It was at 6, so I changed it to 0.

Opened and closed Cubase twice and everything worked. I tried to Open and Close 5 more times and it failed each time.  I power cycled the Babyface and then opened Cubase and it still failed.

14 (edited by waedi 2021-07-03 05:11:38)

The Cubase VST-connections input bus is setup as stereo but in Totalmix the inputs are split into mono.
I suggest to do a Total Reset in Totalmix, menu Options / Reset Mix / Total Reset.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

15 (edited by yeahtuna 2021-07-03 06:03:22)

Sounds like you are grasping at straws now.  Next you will suggest reinstalling Cubase and then reinstalling Windows.

RME must have some proper debugging tools.  Hopefully they'll chime in with some advice.

It's also worth noting that I used this same system with an MAudio FireWire 1814 for years without issue.

There is nothing to debug - the performance of your computer is not sufficient to run Cubase fluidly. Opening a project and starting Cubase cause a CPU peak load that smashes ASIO and USB communication, so you are left with a silent system.

What you can do before getting a new computer:

- After loading the project use the Reset button seen in your first screenshot to reset ASIO and get back audio. That usually works.

- Disable Multi-processing, also in your first screenshot

- Try ASIO Guard On/Off

- Do some more research. This effect is known for 15 years or so...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

17 (edited by yeahtuna 2021-07-03 10:01:27)

I'm pretty sure my i7-7700K and 16GB of ram is more than able to handle a single mono voice track without effects.

Pressing the RESET button enough times seems to bring audio back online, so at least there's a workaround. It's amazing that RME has known about this issue for 15 years and has yet to fix it.

I'm a hardware / software developer with over 20 years experience in pro audio applications, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing and how to maintain my system. As I said, I'm sure you have some debugging tools and I would be more than happy to use them to help you understand what's going wrong.

Cubase 8.5 System Requirements
Intel Core or AMD dual core CPU 8 GB RAM (minimum: 4 GB)

Babyface Pro System Requirements

• Windows XP SP2 or up, Intel Mac OS X (10.6 or up)

• 1 USB 2.0 port or USB 3 port

• Computer with at least Pentium Core 2 Duo CPU

18 (edited by yeahtuna 2021-07-03 11:55:40)

So moving the Babyface from a USB3 port to a USB 2.0 port has resolved the issue.

That’s good to know in case this is seen again

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

gla

yeahtuna wrote:

So moving the Babyface from a USB3 port to a USB 2.0 port has resolved the issue.

glad you found it, thanks for the feedback smile

Do you know the name of your mainboard. It's not unlikely that your Babyface is connected to an internal USB 3 hub that causes problems (often Asmedia or Genesys Logic).

22 (edited by yeahtuna 2021-07-05 02:05:25)

The motherboard is an MSI Z270 m3 and the BFP was connected to a USB3.1 Gen 2 port (type A).

They are supposed to be backward compatible with usb 2 but from experience they aren’t. I have a few usb memory sticks that don’t work on them.

The Gen 2 ports are • ASMedia ASM2142 Chipset based. The Gen 1 ports are Intel based, but MSI does not tell us whether an (Asmedia) USB hub is put in between or not. So you need to try and maybe also try one of the internal ports (on the board).

Software like HWiNFO and SIV can identify chipsets and hubs.