Topic: Best connection from streamer

Hello forum,

I've got a brand new ADI2 DAC.
My setup was [PC] ==usb=> [streamer/dac] ==xlr cable=> [pre/amp]

Now I just swapped the ADI2 and the old streamer, but I'd like to keep both: the streamer can output to an external dac via coax or via optical.
Is there any practical difference in choosing one of the two connections?

thanks
MH

2 (edited by Curt962 2021-06-30 18:11:20)

Re: Best connection from streamer

Hello MH.

In a Nutshell...NO.  There is absolutely no difference between an Optical (TOS), or Coax connection. It's the same Data.   Were you to still have questions, the RME Bit-Test Utility will prove this to you.  Download the RME Bit-Test .wav files, and run the test.  See Pg.65 of the User Manual for complete details. This Test has NO tolerance for inaccuracy.

Assuming your connections/music player set up pass the Bit Test, the Bottom line is,  use the connection method most convenient for you.

My Question is "why is your streamer connected to the PC via USB?"

This seems odd, and negates the purpose of a Streamer.

Whatever...

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Curt962 wrote:

There is absolutely no difference between an Optical (TOS), or Coax connection. It's the same Data.

Right, it's the same data originally, but many DACs have limitations, e.g. optical is capped to 192khz, etc.

Curt962 wrote:

Download the RME Bit-Test .wav files, and run the test.  See Pg.65 of the User Manual for complete details.

Thanks for the hint. I've got the files and I'll try.
If I understand correctly, I just need to play these wavs, don't I?

Curt962 wrote:

Curt

sorry, I didn't mention because it was obvious to me: there are multiple music sources, some are network devices, but the streamer has a direct connection to one of the music servers.

4 (edited by Curt962 2021-06-30 20:20:11)

m.holmes wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

There is absolutely no difference between an Optical (TOS), or Coax connection. It's the same Data.

Right, it's the same data originally, but many DACs have limitations, e.g. optical is capped to 192khz, etc.

*That is a TOS limitation.  Not a Device Limit

Curt962 wrote:

Download the RME Bit-Test .wav files, and run the test.  See Pg.65 of the User Manual for complete details.

Thanks for the hint. I've got the files and I'll try.
If I understand correctly, I just need to play these wavs, don't I?

*Yes!  Play the Files, and you SHOULD see the White Screen of  Success!  "Bit Test Pass"

Curt962 wrote:

Curt

sorry, I didn't mention because it was obvious to me: there are multiple music sources, some are network devices, but the streamer has a direct connection to one of the music servers.

* I think this depends on what you mean by "Multiple Music Sources"    I have Multiple Sources too.  Some are Local Files stored on my Computer.  Others are sourced perhaps in Berlin, Reyjavik, Paris, etc.  I can play them all wirelessly. (My Streamimg device IS connected to the Gigabit Router)  Not truly needed, but with a Teenage Data Pirate in House?  That's my Program.

In the end...

My PC, and Streaming Device have no Physical Connection.  Never did.  They DO communicate  but that's as Cozy as they get.

I've been streaming a long time!  It's a Window to the World! 

May I ask which streaming device you're using?

Let's minimize the WIRES, Gain You some Freedom, and have some real fun here!

Best!

Curt

m.holmes wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

You mean 96 kHz? 192 kHz is a general limit of SPDIF, so also valid for coax.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You mean 96 kHz? 192 kHz is a general limit of SPDIF, so also valid for coax.

Sorry, my sentence was meant to be an example, not taken from real specs.
I know as a fact that in DAC specs, you sometimes read sentences like: "if source is S, max frequency is limited to F" or "if source is S, this function is disabled", etc.
That's the motivation for my original question.

I was asking if there's any difference in practice (most of my music is 44.1, btw).

Curt962 wrote:

May I ask which streaming device you're using?

Cambridge Audio CXN.
Very nice unit, the only problem I have is that you often find "spurious" entries in the list of network music sources, e.g. you are browsing and see stuff like

Server1
Server2
Nas
dk2jhrk24h
3RGRVFDS@$

8 (edited by m.holmes 2021-07-01 12:28:11)

Curt962 wrote:

*Yes!  Play the Files, and you SHOULD see the White Screen of  Success!  "Bit Test Pass"

Sorry for the dumb question. In the archive there are some 16,24 and 32bit wavs.
When I play 16 and 24, I see the "test passed" message on the ADI2, but when I play the 32bit wav, I see "24bit test passed".

This happens even if I connect the ADI2 via USB to a windows pc and play with foobar/musicbee.
From what I see on this forum, it's sort of "tolerated". Did I get it right?

MH,

Take another look at your User Manual, Pg.65 for an explanation. 

Else, your seeing the "Bit-Test Pass" message with all other test files, so you're A-OK!!

Grab a Chair, and Enjoy your RME!!

Curt

m.holmes wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Sorry for the dumb question. In the archive there are some 16,24 and 32bit wavs.
When I play 16 and 24, I see the "test passed" message on the ADI2, but when I play the 32bit wav, I see "24bit test passed".

This happens even if I connect the ADI2 via USB to a windows pc and play with foobar/musicbee.
From what I see on this forum, it's sort of "tolerated". Did I get it right?

I have the cxn, cxn won’t play 32bit,  mine shows the same,  passed on all but reads 32 as 24bit.

Easiest method for me is pi4 usb to adi.
Works beautifully.
Plays any bitrate right up to dsd 256 and pcm 768khz.

Pi and adi 2 dac fs is end game for me.

terrys999 wrote:

I have the cxn, cxn won’t play 32bit,  mine shows the same,  passed on all but reads 32 as 24bit.

thanks, good to know.

however the same happens if I use a windows pc and the RME ASIO driver.
I tried both foobar and musicbee (which is permanently in 32bit mode).

12 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-01 14:13:02)

Hi Terry!

I think I can subscribe to your asessment!  smile   Pi/RME is a fine combination

So long as MH is on the Right Path with his connections, all is well.

You, and I can just Smile, and be happy knowing that Streaming Bliss is a Reality, and I'm enjoying it right now.  (128kbps DAB Stream.   Please don't revoke my Audiophile Card wink )

Stream On!

Curt

m.holmes wrote:
terrys999 wrote:

thanks, good to know.

however the same happens if I use a windows pc and the RME ASIO driver.
I tried both foobar and musicbee (which is permanently in 32bit mode).

It's explained in the Manual.  I'll say once again, the User Manual is available for download, and this makes it easy to always have the most Up-To-Date documentation at your fingertips.  For some of us who spend an inordinate amount of time here on the Forum...quick access to the User Manual is an absolute must!   

Regards,

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

It's explained in the Manua

Could you please be more specific?
The manual just briefly mentions what the failure is, not how I can solve it, or if I should do anything at all:

If the lower bits on the transmission path are simply truncated, the corresponding message appears with the respectively recognized bit resolution, i.e. 24 or 16 bits.

Also, I don't see an explanation of why it may happen: USB is not limited; Windows is not mentioned.
The last note may still be relevant, but the internals of CoreAudio are quite different; anyway, the only implicit advice which I can think of is to try with a different audio player.

Notes:
* iOS, AES, SPDIF and ADAT are limited to 24 bit.
* Some players in Mac OS X offer a Direct Mode, using 32 bit integer in non-mixable format. The 32 bit test might still fail. HQPlayer 3.20 and up is known to pass.

15 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-01 15:39:04)

MH,

Probably best to let MC provide the Technical Explanation. My understanding is that Spdif is limited to 24bit depth.  Period.   For me, as a practical matter I think this 32bit test may be of little/no consequence in my Use-Case.

But!!  Because Terry piqued my Curiosity, I just ran the 192/32 bit .wav file.  Lo, and Behold...

32 bit test PASS.

My Data Path:

Windows 10 Laptop (LMS/PiCore Player)>Wireless>Gigabit Router>$3 Cat 5 Ethernet Cable>Streaming Device>USB>RME.

Another Gold Star for the Pi.

MH, I don't think I would worry about it.  If Spdif is limited to 24bit by it's very nature, then that's all there is to it  If you can connect your CXN to the RME via USB?   Give that a Whirl.

Breathe Easy my Friend.   You're doing fine.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

My understanding is that Spdif is limited to 24bit depth.

I'm not sure where I gave the impression that I'm using spdif.
I'm using USB everywhere.

From windows, I tried foobar, musicbee and aimp. All with RME ASIO driver.
AIMP intentionally applies some kind of dsp, which I couldn't disable, so it passes only the 16bit test; both foobar and musicbee pass all the tests, but the 32bit test says "24bit test passed".

I also tried streaming the test wavs from my CA CXN via coax cable, and the result is identical.

From other forum posts (but the manual was not helpful at all, here)
1) the CXN does not support 32bit output
2) in general, it seems that "failing" the 32bit test because of truncation is not really a problem, and it seems to depend mostly on the software decoder implementation (foobar, and all software that uses floating point internally, doesn't recover exactly all the digits of a 32bit integer)

Some forum users mention that jriver passes the test, but it would be interesting to know if there's a free windows software that works.

17 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-01 18:10:12)

Hi again MH.

I just described a Free Sftwr Solution.   Beyond that, we may have to defer to the inputs of others who are better qualified to assist You with this specific matter.    I've used the same basic Music Player Sftwr (Logitech Media Server) since just after the Earth Cooled, and  It's been Dandy!  Constantly evolving, and now at V8.1.1.

Depending on your time constraints, it couldn't hurt for you to download this Open Source Masterpiece, and see if might work for you.  There's nothing to lose!

After that...Terry, and I are going to suggest an RPi4!   We KNOW that works, and it's Cheap as Chips. I mean that in a Good Way, as the RPi4 represents an almost Uncannily high value, that has become the Bane of the Boutique Network Player World.  Connected to your RME?  Life is Good!

Else, lacking any 32bit Audio material?   Perhaps we shouldn't give ourselves an Ulcer over the matter.

Best,

Curt

Perhaps this Yr.Old Thread may give you some insights:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=31019

> Some forum users mention that jriver passes the test, but it would be interesting to know if there's a free windows software that works.

Reaper.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Curt962 wrote:

MH,

Probably best to let MC provide the Technical Explanation. My understanding is that Spdif is limited to 24bit depth.  Period.   For me, as a practical matter I think this 32bit test may be of little/no consequence in my Use-Case.

But!!  Because Terry piqued my Curiosity, I just ran the 192/32 bit .wav file.  Lo, and Behold...

32 bit test PASS.

My Data Path:

Windows 10 Laptop (LMS/PiCore Player)>Wireless>Gigabit Router>$3 Cat 5 Ethernet Cable>Streaming Device>USB>RME.

Another Gold Star for the Pi.

MH, I don't think I would worry about it.  If Spdif is limited to 24bit by it's very nature, then that's all there is to it  If you can connect your CXN to the RME via USB?   Give that a Whirl.

Breathe Easy my Friend.   You're doing fine.

Curt

Curt.
Iam still amazed how a low priced pi    goes so well with my adi.

Match made in heaven.
If it wasn’t for me reading your post about pi. I would never of thought about getting one.

If I could sleep with my adi and pi. I would. Ha.

20 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-02 20:39:03)

terrys999 wrote:

Curt.
Iam still amazed how a low priced pi    goes so well with my adi.

Match made in heaven.
If it wasn’t for me reading your post about pi. I would never of thought about getting one.

If I could sleep with my adi and pi. I would. Ha.

Well now.  Best to just keep matters "Platonic" with your Devices. wink

People might Talk, and you know how the internet is. smile

I DO like to make happy noises about the ADI-2DAC as well, and with the addition of the Pi4?  Now there are TWO Superstars (Pi + RME) in the same Data-Path, and I am absolutely delighted.  The "Streaming" Topic comes up quite regularly here on the Forum, so I do shamelessly Tout both devices.

Success is Fun, and even more so when another User has the same positive result.

Enjoy!

Curt

https://i.ibb.co/bNMycVD/20210702-153244.jpg

You can't make this up.  $100 device, and Free Sftwr.

Just sayin!