Topic: MicroFace (or something)

Hi!

I guess this has been discussed already but I can't find any infos on this.

Why is there no RME interface in the 3-400$ price range?

All people who ask me for advices don't have 1k$ + to throw at an interface and don't need more than a mic input, an instrument input, 2x line output and a headphone output.

So I tell them to get a Focusrite or an Audient.

If there was an interface from RME in those price range with RME's drivers there wouldn't have a discussion which interface to grab.

Something with the basic I/O listed above in a simple "Digiface USB" like rectangle enclosure would be the instant winner each time.

Even ditch TotalMix, just some knobs and the basic drivers for absolute low latency and ease of use.

Is it something that might exist one day? Or is it a market that simply don't appeal to RME?

Re: MicroFace (or something)

There is: Digiface USB.

330€

Add a second hand Behringere ADA8000 for 50€ and go. Need more channels? Repeat.

Totalmix and Digicheck included.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

3 (edited by dyonight 2021-07-02 18:12:13)

cyrano wrote:

There is: Digiface USB.

330€

Add a second hand Behringere ADA8000 for 50€ and go. Need more channels? Repeat.

Totalmix and Digicheck included.

Good call! but stil not practical and too expensive and clunky for someone who only need an audient ID4 to record his DI tracks with its laptop.

Even one combi channel is enough most of the times...

With one only channel, Totalmix would be of little use, wouldn't it?

So it wouldn't fit in the "range of interfaces with identical software". It's confusing if part of the range has features some other part is missing.

The effects currently present in most of the range, are a prime example. The Digiface range obviously has no on-board effects, which appears in questions on this forum every now and then. Confusing...

Besides, others have tried the one or two channel blackbox thing and it didn't sell well. I think RME seems to know where to go.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

With one only channel, Totalmix would be of little use, wouldn't it?

So it wouldn't fit in the "range of interfaces with identical software". It's confusing if part of the range has features some other part is missing.

The effects currently present in most of the range, are a prime example. The Digiface range obviously has no on-board effects, which appears in questions on this forum every now and then. Confusing...

Besides, others have tried the one or two channel blackbox thing and it didn't sell well. I think RME seems to know where to go.

I'm sure RME knows why they do what they do there's no doubt about it.

No totalmix, that's what I suggested in my original post. Just the "RME USB Drivers". Like with the ADI Pro.

Then why? You might say.

There's no faster, more stable ASIO drivers than those provided by RME. That's why.

With one nice AD/DA, good headphone amp, and some reliable and clean mic pre / intrument input, usb powered, just can't go wrong.

I think you can only go as cheap if you want hold a certain amount of quality. I guess it's probably cant be made any cheaper than a babyface without comprosing. And im glad that RME doesnt compromise.
There also other brands that play in the same leaque as RME that dont have products below 2k€. So its great RME has a "budget" line. Though its in the 1k range, which might not be budget to many.

There're audio interfaces at $300 price point in the market. for just recording and playback they work very well.
But none of them has TotalMix-like features.
To implement TotalMix FX there is significant amount of cost (such as development, fpga chip, etc).
if you add this cost (digiface is around $400) to a $300 price point audio interface, you get a babyface pro.