Topic: Genelec 8030C input sensitivity

I’m not savvy when it comes to this stuff but I remember reading to get the best performance out of the ADI-2 DAC FS I should use an amp that will accept a 6.9v input.
I’ve had a look at the specifications for the Genelec 8030C speakers and the only thing I can see regarding the input sensitivity is the image I’ve attached. Would someone be able to advise if I’ll be able to get the best performance out of the DAC with these speakers?
https://i.ibb.co/8cX3rvC/22-CFF94-D-DD25-4-BD1-8129-8-DA25480736-E.jpg

2 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-04 10:19:32)

Re: Genelec 8030C input sensitivity

Hi Alfie

Without a lot of Mathematical Wizardry, the Basic idea here is to use our RME in it's most Optimal Volume range so as to maximize SNR, and Dynamic Range, without introducing Distortion.  ie: "Gain-Staging"

Basic Method:

Connect your ADI-2DAC to your Speakers. 

*Turn On "Auto-Ref" (This is found in the I/O Menu>Settings> Auto Ref>On)
Note: Auto-Ref is "On" by default.

*Set the RME's Volume very low.

*Play a familiar piece of Music, and increase the RMEs Volume to a Comfortably Loud level.

What Level is now displayed on the RME?   Ideally, we'd like to see a comfortably loud level  at approx -15dBr (+/-) on the Display.   

If things are just too loud at a much lower volume setting, simply reduce the input sensitivity controls of your Speakers to compensate. 

This is a good starting point, and exactly the way I did it.  Works a treat, and helps us extract the best possible performance from our DAC/Active Speaker interface.

Enjoy!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

3 (edited by ning 2021-07-04 14:04:06)

I have the 8030C. The answer is two fold --- there's an analog potentiometer behind the 8030 to tune your speaker's sensitivity.
There's also a DAC output level to set its gain.  You can turn the two together.

If you want  to do the mathematics, here's the easy way ---
turn the knob at the back of 8030C to +1db, and set your ADI-2 DAC's output level to +1db.
Now, if you play full volume content at 0dbr volume, and sit 1m away from your speaker, you will hear a sound that is 100dbSPL loud.
That's what the sensitivity spec label means.

All others volumes can be calculated relative to this.

For instance, if you turn the output level of the DAC to +19dbu from +1dbu, which is 18db louder, then you'll hear 118dbSPL at full volume.
Another example --- keep the 1dbu level, and turn the knob at the back of your 8030C from +1dbu to +6dbu, and you'll get 5db quieter, the sound level is at 95db.

So what you really want to do depends solely what listening levels you want it to be. You can turn the knob to +6dbu, and the dac level to +1dbu, and digital volume knob to -infinity, that's the lowest sound you'll get, and you slightly increase your dac's digital volume from -infinity slowly to 0dbr. and stop when it's loud enough.

if this is too quite for you, turn the 8030C knob slowly from +6dbu to -6dbu. The sound will get louder and louder. Stop when you are satisfied with the loudness.

If it's still too quite, keep the knob at -6dbu, and turn your adi-2 dac's level from +1 to +7, +13 and +19dbu. The sound should get louder and louder. Stop when you are satisfied.

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-07-04 16:48:44)

alfie.c.froud wrote:

I’m not savvy when it comes to this stuff but I remember reading to get the best performance out of the ADI-2 DAC FS I should use an amp that will accept a 6.9v input.
I’ve had a look at the specifications for the Genelec 8030C speakers and the only thing I can see regarding the input sensitivity is the image I’ve attached. Would someone be able to advise if I’ll be able to get the best performance out of the DAC with these speakers?
https://i.ibb.co/8cX3rvC/22-CFF94-D-DD25-4-BD1-8129-8-DA25480736-E.jpg

Fortunately Genelec 8030C has input level controls and fortunately the setting is very simple:
Turn them all down to minimum loudness (+6 dBu position).

On ADI-2 DAC activate Auto Reference Level to maximize the use of ADI-2’s dynamic range.

For a detailed explanation how to setup look here, “Case 2” is for you:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721