Topic: Plug in active/passive bass guitar to Analog In

Looking at the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE.
What would be the drawbacks, or is it even possible, without a pre-amp, to plug in an instrument directly into one of the analog in ports (Mono TS Plug)?  It is an active/passive guitar pickup in which the "active circuit" can be switched on or off, adding (wild, random assumption) ~10dB increase in signal level when on.

Also, looking at the Analog -In ports, it is stating that they are combo ports that can accept both XLR and TRS or TS plugs. I am confused as looking at the back of the unit, it looks like you can only plug in a TRS/TS plug. Is there an "adapter" in the socket, that gets removed if wanting to use XLR cables for analog in?

Thank you for your help!

2 (edited by ning 2021-07-07 15:54:57)

Re: Plug in active/passive bass guitar to Analog In

ADI-2 Pro does not have preamp. the lowest gain setting is +4dbu. If your instrument can output close to that, then it can be used without a preamp. Otherwise a preamp is needed.

the analog in is a combo xlr/trs jack. You can either plug in a xlr plug, or a TRS (or TS) plug. It just works.
are you sure you're looking at the correct image? Analog in is on the right hand side of the following image.
https://www.rme-usa.com/files/uploads/RME-Products/Converter/ADI-2-ProFSr.png

There is a servo balance stage after the gain stage, so it accepts either balanced or unbalanced signal.

Re: Plug in active/passive bass guitar to Analog In

Thank you for the quick response!
I was looking at the correct pictures, but was a bit confused at the "combo" plug. Upon further inspection, I see how it does the combo with the same plug now.

Thank you for the provided information!