Topic: Adam monitor input sensitivity

Hi,

I have the adi-2 FS connected to Adam ax77 via Xlr cables. The input sensitivity is set to 0 on the monitors with auto reference level activated on the Dac.

One main reason for choosing this is because 0db has a detent and I don’t have to be worried about there being slight level differences in the 2 monitors.

I am a little confused about which setting gets the most out of the system.

Normally one would put the audio interface to unity/0 and increase monitors from negative infinity to the desired monitoring level. Let’s say it’s -85db.

Since the device has auto ref level can I continue with the current setup and be rest assured that I am getting the most out of the system without any compromises.

Or Is it best to :

Increase gain on the Dac (monitoring at +7 and +13db) and attenuate the monitors to maybe 9 o’clock position (they are currently at 12 o’clock)

I’m usually monitoring at -5db to +1db. Occasionally going higher if need be.

Re: Adam monitor input sensitivity

You hear noise or hum? If not everything is perfect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Adam monitor input sensitivity

If ADI-2 DAC‘s Volume‘s normal working range is between -21 and 0 dBr you‘re fine.

A setup guide can be found here, “Case 2” is for you.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

To calibrate the L/R balance I suggest to use Pink Noise with the bass filtered out, a microphone and any meter you have available.

Alternatively an SPL meter smartphone app is a useful tool.
Measure “A-weighted”, this leaves the bass out of the measurement, giving more reasonable results.