Topic: Question regarding AD-DA converting

Hey there,

I'm just curious:
I have an ADI 8dsmkIII connected to a Digiface USB.
When I route an input signal directly to an output via Totalmix, is there an ADDA converting happening? Or is it just like using an analog patchbay?

I'm routing my microphones preamp signal to an outboard compressor this way and I wonder if there is a loss of quality.

Best
Dominic

Re: Question regarding AD-DA converting

It's converted, but with very high quality ;-)

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

OK, thanks. Maybe I should just relaxe a little instead of thinking about theoretically quality problems, but I'm just a little neardy in this topic

deek wrote:

Hey there,

I'm just curious:
I have an ADI 8dsmkIII connected to a Digiface USB.
When I route an input signal directly to an output via Totalmix, is there an ADDA converting happening? Or is it just like using an analog patchbay?

I'm routing my microphones preamp signal to an outboard compressor this way and I wonder if there is a loss of quality.

Best
Dominic

While you have your answer already I have to point out that you haven't understood how it works. Let me explain: Analog signal is AD converted to digital ADAT format, transferred to the DF USB, digitally routed via TotalMix back to the ADI-8 via ADAT, then DA converted in the ADI-8. The routing happens with the digital signal within the DF USB. TotalMix is not part of the ADI-8 (that should be obvious).

A direct analog input to output is not possible at all, that would require to have such a special feature in the ADI-8 itself, in hardware. None of our (and most other manufacturer's) products have such a functionality.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Danke Matthias, eigentlich ja auch völlig logisch. Hatte wohl einen Knoten im Hirn.

Vermutlich ein Fall von optischem Lichtleiterknoten wink

Erinnert mich an Kalottensuppe, die ich früher aus Versehen gekocht habe...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME