Topic: babyface pro line levels

I have seen this question asked over and over again with not one single solution. I am running a guitar into a babyface pro into inputs 3, or 4 you to choose. I have settings in  total mix set at -10db pad and gain at 9. I have tried all in-between settings. my levels, and others as well, ride at about -30db why is this? I'm not getting enough gain to even get a waveform in my daw. I have read the manual, tried all previously given advice like test with a TRS cable into inputs 3 or 4 and another end into phone jack using a sin wave and my results are the same. I have tried all types of guitars from humbuckers and single-coils and anything combo of both. nothing is giving me a strong signal. i have uninstalled drivers and reinstalled, updated firmware, tried a different USB cable, tried multiple USB ports. tried different computers, tried a laptop, used different TRS cables. used a stereo cable. there is nothing that will increase the signal. are some of these units just faulty because not everyone has this issue and it only seems to be a slight few. it makes me think I am missing something in total mix or perhaps something else.....what in the world is the issue? no onw will give an answear

2 (edited by waedi 2021-07-06 00:36:25)

Re: babyface pro line levels

-30db is a pretty good signal, your DAW should have a nice wave.
What is your DAW ? Mac or PC ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

JPS guitars - I  have same problem - how did you resolve it ? Anyone ???

4 (edited by jpsguitars 2021-07-09 01:07:17)

waedi wrote:

-30db is a pretty good signal, your DAW should have a nice wave.
What is your DAW ? Mac or PC ?

sorry I was away for a few days.  I got that backwords. I have -30 tops of gain. I'm supposed to be at -18 or somewhere close. I'm using Reaper on a custom-built pc. everything is constantly updated on a regular basis. and I am serious, I have tried all the advice and nothing works. I'm stuck at -30 dB. -3o is nothing on the meter. basically less than half of what I should have. I have no visible wave until I normalize and like I stated before, I get more noise.

mjones007 wrote:

JPS guitars - I  have same problem - how did you resolve it ? Anyone ???

please stay in touch and give any feedback you can. several others have this issue and I have found absolutely no answer anywhere. there are forum posts that just end with no resolve. I joined a Facebook group and asked this question and they deleted the post with no reason why. I seriously am getting nowhere with this and all I'm hearing is its user error so what is the error then??? I'm thinking some of these units have something wrong with them and rather than do a recall it seems a blanket is being thrown on it.

Hello!

Which BabyFace is it?
Also, can you post the driver and firmware versions?(numbers, please)

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Which BabyFace is it?
Also, can you post the driver and firmware versions?(numbers, please)

It's a babyface Pro, 71973941 this number is on the back of the unit. I'm assuming you want the total mix firmware and driver info......

firmware 1.73
driver version 1.212

I keep everything current. It's what I start each session. this is really aggravating because the manual states that at +4dbu with gain at 0 i should have  +13 dbu and well, nope!

8 (edited by waedi 2021-07-10 01:01:13)

A screenshot of your Totalmix would be helpful. There is something wrong. I have an old Babyface silver and a new Madiface Pro and I have plenty of signal when a guitar is plugged in directly into the interface.
Have you clicked the button "-10 dBV" ? Please try.
May be you have clicked the wrong button ( +4dBu ) ?

jpsguitars wrote:

It's a babyface Pro, 71973941 this number is on the back of the unit. I'm assuming you want the total mix firmware and driver info......

firmware 1.73
driver version 1.212

Thanks!

The firmware version is not the TotalMixFX version, but the Hardware Revision version which is found in the "About" Tab of the BF Driver Settings!

The up-to-date one is 130. Here is the Flash Update Tool :   https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_win.zip  , assuming you 're on Windows.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:
jpsguitars wrote:

firmware 1.73
driver version 1.212

Thanks!

The firmware version is not the TotalMixFX version, but the Hardware Revision version which is found in the "About" Tab of the BF Driver Settings!

The up-to-date one is 130. Here is the Flash Update Tool :   https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_win.zip  , assuming you 're on Windows.

so ive already done this and i did it again to make sure but nothing has changed. i am seriously stumped!

with all settings up as far as they will go and strumming as hard as I can I cant break over -30db in my daw and no visible waveform when recording without normalizing.

And it will stay like that unless we get more clear information. Before clarifying what might be wrong with Reaper's settings you need to look at the hardware - the Babyface - only and give us required, clear and correct information. That is:

- Open TotalMix FX. Open the channel settings of input 3/4. Set the reference level to -10 dBV, Gain to 0.0. Now tell us what level you see in the level meter of input 3/4 when you strum the guitar. The levels are the numbers on top, below the M and S button.

A screenshot of this action might help as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by ramses 2021-07-10 10:12:16)

You can find in TotalMix FX at HW Input AN 3/4 a tool / wrench symbol.
Click it and you get more options for your inputs.

How did you set the reference level of your inputs AN 3 / 4 IN ? You should set it to -10 dBV.
If this is not sufficient, then you can also add a digital input gain up to 9 dB.

Can you please post a screenshot of your TM FX settings ?

You can see from manual ch 9.6 and deduce from technical specs in ch 27, that you get highest signal with a lower reference level and by using the gain up to +9 dB:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpsjo8riakfcjci/2021-07-10%20BBF%20Pro%20Instr%20Input%20setting.jpg?dl=1

@MC: our postings have overlapped...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

14 (edited by jpsguitars 2021-07-10 19:24:36)

MC wrote:

And it will stay like that unless we get more clear information. Before clarifying what might be wrong with Reaper's settings you need to look at the hardware - the Babyface - only and give us required, clear and correct information. That is:

- Open TotalMix FX. Open the channel settings of input 3/4. Set the reference level to -10 dBV, Gain to 0.0. Now tell us what level you see in the level meter of input 3/4 when you strum the guitar. The levels are the numbers on top, below the M and S button.

A screenshot of this action might help as well.

I have a screenshot but how to attach it to a message in this forum is beyond me, I click on the photo icon at the top and all I get is text- but the levels are fluctuating between -41 to - 39.5 with settings as instructed. I have also tried various combinations of settings with very little change.

some other information that may or may not be of interest
I am using active pickups
I have other audio drivers installed for other devices but this is disabled before sessions. and I still have this issue on other pcs and laptops with nothing installed but windows.
rme is the default device in windows settings
I am also not exactly sure if I should be using a different TRS cable, I do not have any stereo cables. not sure if that makes a diffrence.

you'll have to excuse my lack of experience it must be frustrating for you to deal with amateurs.

I wrote a blog article how to post pictures on RME forum with instructions and background info's on this topic:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

16 (edited by jpsguitars 2021-07-11 00:04:30)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfocg4sdscf6jx7/rme%200%20gain.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfocg4sdscf6j … n.jpg?dl=0

this was really confusing and i don't even want to have a drop box account so if this doesn't work then i will  have to email you photos

jpsguitars wrote:

this was really confusing and i don't even want to have a drop box account so if this doesn't work then i will  have to email you photos

The photo works, but you may open the gain ?
The input gain is fully down no wonder your signal is low.

waedi wrote:
jpsguitars wrote:

The photo works, but you may open the gain ?
The input gain is fully down no wonder your signal is low.

ok, your not understanding. even with the gain at the highest possible levels, I'm getting the same -41 to -30. I have literally tried all the settings p[ossible. would you like screenshots of all those settings? could you post a screenshot of what you think it should look like?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9nbtjkle2g0g … 2.png?dl=0

20 (edited by waedi 2021-07-11 03:39:14)

You did ask about the cable.
i assume you have a guitar amp and there the sound is normal and you plug the same cable into the interface, correct ?

If you have other cables, try a TS - XLR cable and connect the guitar to the Mic input of the interface with no gain.
And did you try input 4 as well ?

> I have read the manual, tried all previously given advice like test with a TRS cable into inputs 3 or 4

But did not state what happened. If that test works then your guitar or cable would be defective. If that test gives similar super-low levels then the BF must be defective.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

> I have read the manual, tried all previously given advice like test with a TRS cable into inputs 3 or 4

But did not state what happened. If that test works then your guitar or cable would be defective. If that test gives similar super-low
levels then the BF must be defective.

my apologies again, I thought my initial post had clarified I had tried everything I could think of with no results. yes, even a new cable gets the exact same result. and I only use mogomie. but of course, those can be defective out of the box thats why I tried 3 other cables with the same results.  I do not own a guitar amp either everything goes through the babyface and into my pc and out through a pair of adam a7x monitors or headphones.

are there any other possible reasons I would have such a low line level?

so, if the babyface is defective that would make it defective from the factory. if this is the case then that would make this a customer service issue which many others have this exact problem so now what? I'm not so certain any warranty will cover it as I've owned it for some time, but have just started to use it this last few months, putting a modest studio together takes time. and I'm sure the repair would warrant a new purchase. is there someone in the U.S., Washington part of the pacific northwest you could recommend that could possibly look at it and test it. I'm sure based on all the responses I've gotten I'm doing something completely idiotic and can't figure it out.

23 (edited by jpsguitars 2021-07-11 15:11:38)

waedi wrote:

You did ask about the cable.
i assume you have a guitar amp and there the sound is normal and you plug the same cable into the interface, correct ?

If you have other cables, try a TS - XLR cable and connect the guitar to the Mic input of the interface with no gain.
And did you try input 4 as well ?

I did try all the above with the exception of a guitar amp or a TS-XLR cable which I have been told not to do this due to issues with impedance. you are saying this is ok? I do not have one of those cables but will give it a try. but I am pretty sure that the level will increase due to the fact channel 1 and 2 work as they should. so, I'm obviously pretty new to engineering, if this is a bandaid fix and won't damage the unit in the long run I will just switch to this method. but please don't advise me to do something that would damage the unit with prolonged use.

edit: I looked this up and it seems this is actually done on a professional level. so my question is would there be any issue with just using this method? of course, keep the gain in check and no phantom power. is there any reason why I cant just do this and not use inputs 3 and 4 which to be honest kinda pisses me off?

Ouch !
The analog input 3 AND 4 have the same issue, no gain stage working ?!
Have you tried the flash update tool ?
Just in case the previous flash did not complete load.
I would give it a try :
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_win.zip

jpsguitars wrote:

so, if the babyface is defective that would make it defective from the factory. if this is the case then that would make this a customer service issue which many others have this exact problem so now what?

We know very well how many defective units we have, and what you describe is very unusual. The unit is tested in the factory on all I/Os, unpacked at our headquarter, tested again, repacked and sent out. The number of defective units arriving at customers is therefore extremely low.

The few cases that you saw were user error, indeed. And the number of these cases is again very low compared to the number of units that we sell every month, since many years.

Warranty in the US should be 2 years at least. Contact Synthax US, our local distributor, they can help with further actions.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

waedi wrote:

Ouch !
The analog input 3 AND 4 have the same issue, no gain stage working ?!
Have you tried the flash update tool ?
Just in case the previous flash did not complete load.
I would give it a try :
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_win.zip

this is becoming redundant. I have done all these quite a few times

27 (edited by jpsguitars 2021-07-12 00:37:21)

MC wrote:
jpsguitars wrote:

so, if the babyface is defective that would make it defective from the factory. if this is the case then that would make this a customer service issue which many others have this exact problem so now what?

We know very well how many defective units we have, and what you describe is very unusual. The unit is tested in the factory on all I/Os, unpacked at our headquarter, tested again, repacked and sent out. The number of defective units arriving at customers is therefore extremely low.

The few cases that you saw were user error, indeed. And the number of these cases is again very low compared to the number of units that we sell every month, since many years.

Warranty in the US should be 2 years at least. Contact Synthax US, our local distributor, they can help with further actions.

so what was the user error if you don't mind me asking? I'm not discounting anything here I just want to be sure I'm not doing something wrong because that is normally the case with rme products. well at least from me anyway. quite a learning curve, but easily overcome with some help and thank you for your help.

Simply choosing the wrong channel in the DAW, and having an invalid mixer state with Talkback active. Some also did not manage to hear the guitar because they operated the DAW and/or TotalMix wrongly (no monitoring).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME