Topic: Fireface 802 question about Spdif Optical

Hello,

I couldn't find a definite answer to this after reading the manual and searching over internet. I figured that I would just ask.

When the Adat 2 in/out is set as an Spdif Optical, is it mimicking the AES in/out signal or does it become a completely separated Digital I/O. If it does then what becomes of the routing?

I'm asking that because I'm planning to add and main AD/DA convertor, an Antelope Pure 2, to my setup. My speaker are connected on the AES out of the Fireface 802 directly, which I'm monitoring the volume with my ARC USB and then I want to send the signal from the Fireface to the Pure 2 in digital for the DA conversion to my analog chain. From what I understand the AES and Spdif RCA are the same channel and I don't want the ARC volume to change the signal I'm sending to my DA. So I thought that the Optical Spdif through the ADAT 2 would be the solution.

Hope that makes sense ^^

Re: Fireface 802 question about Spdif Optical

With that setting it replaces AES I/O. So no way to get two 'SPDIF' inputs. Sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx for your answer, so I'll have to find another way then, darn... That mean in any case that when Main out on the mixer is set to AES for the volume control from your ARC it will control AES/Spdif RCA/Spdif Optical at the same time right?

Hello, about my "issue" I was wondering if an RME ADI 4 DD would do the job to "convert" an ADAT 8 channel of the 802 to an AES?

Sure. Download its manual for details:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi4dd_e.pdf

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've went thru it already and it will indeed do what I need. Just found a brand new one in a shop and will order it today. Will be useful for later in any case so I don't mind investing for this.

Thanks for your help.