1 (edited by kerin.liu 2021-07-12 01:43:40)

Topic: UCX TRS&TS connector noise problem

We are an audio consumer electronics production company from China, and we have encountered some problems when using UCX sound card. The questions are as follows:
1.How does the sound card recognize TRS and tr input?

2. Why noise is better than TS input when TRS input is used?

Re: UCX TRS&TS connector noise problem

1. By shorting the R with ground.

2. Because it's balanced signal transmission. This removes noise from ground loops, which is most probably the issue you encounter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

2. Because it's balanced signal transmission. This removes noise from ground loops, which is most probably the issue you encounter.

I don't quite understand this. Please elaborate. Thank you
1.How does the sound card recognize TRS and TS 6.35 input?

It can’t tell if it’s balanced or not. Even XLR can carry an unbalanced signal.
For either balanced or unbalanced input, there will be a servo balanced circuit (a differential circuit) to convert the signal into a balanced signal before entering input buffer.

ning wrote:

It can’t tell if it’s balanced or not. Even XLR can carry an unbalanced signal.
For either balanced or unbalanced input, there will be a servo balanced circuit (a differential circuit) to convert the signal into a balanced signal before entering input buffer.

Thank you for your reply! Can I understand that? The sound card will automatically convert TS signal into TRS signal. Suppose that if there is noise on the ground wire during the conversion, the analysis results will be affected after the conversion, right?

kerin.liu wrote:
MC wrote:

Obviously because you either insert a mono plug (TS=unbalanced cabling) or stereo plug (TRS=balanced cabling). These details are also explained in the UCX manual. Advantages of balanced transmission plus getting rid of ground loops this way -> simply Google, it's everywhere.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:
kerin.liu wrote:
MC wrote:

Obviously because you either insert a mono plug (TS=unbalanced cabling) or stereo plug (TRS=balanced cabling). These details are also explained in the UCX manual. Advantages of balanced transmission plus getting rid of ground loops this way -> simply Google, it's everywhere.

Thank you for your reply. I understand. Recently, we have encountered the problem of abnormal protection of sound card in our factory. I want to know how much voltage UCX input signal exceeds will cause abnormal protection? How much temperature will lead to sound card over temperature protection? thank you!

8 (edited by ning 2021-07-12 09:05:38)

kerin.liu wrote:

Thank you for your reply! Can I understand that? The sound card will automatically convert TS signal into TRS signal. Suppose that if there is noise on the ground wire during the conversion, the analysis results will be affected after the conversion, right?

the input buffers expect differential signals. so the servo balanced stage will do:

Input+ = (Hot - Cold)/2 + bias
Input- = - (Hot - Cold)/2 + bias.

You need to make sure cold is connected to the ground. leaving that floating will cause noise in the conversion. The manual states that very clearly.

Also unbalanced signal is prone to have ground loop and interference, which make such signal nosier.

9 (edited by ning 2021-07-12 09:07:53)

kerin.liu wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I understand. Recently, we have encountered the problem of abnormal protection of sound card in our factory. I want to know how much voltage UCX input signal exceeds will cause abnormal protection? How much temperature will lead to sound card over temperature protection? thank you!

MC can give you a definitive answer to the voltage,  but as long as your input is within the level (+19dbu +13dbu or +2dbv) such protection circuit should not trigger. The protection circuit usually allows a much higher voltage than the current level.

ning wrote:
kerin.liu wrote:

MC can give you a definitive answer to the voltage,  but as long as your input is within the level (+19dbu +13dbu or +2dbv) such protection circuit should not trigger. The protection circuit usually allows a much higher voltage than the current level.

thank you! I understand and look forward to MC  reply。

There is typically no temperature protection in a sound card, and definitely not in the UCX. Please wait for our support staff to contact you.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

There is typically no temperature protection in a sound card, and definitely not in the UCX. Please wait for our support staff to contact you.

thank you!
We look forward to your reply。