Topic: ADI 2 PRO FS R DA filter settings affect spdif output

Hello,
I use spdif digital RCA output to feed my Neumann KH 750 DSP and I use "Dig. Out Source" set to Main Out to control the volume.
I can definitely hear the difference when I switch DA filters for Main Output 1/2. Why does it affect the sound? In the manual only volume and EQ mentioned.
Thanks.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Re: ADI 2 PRO FS R DA filter settings affect spdif output

you can record the digital signal by looping it back and find if it has changed by switching to another filter.

Check the block diagram in the manual. ALL processing is the same with that option on.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by vlad.e 2021-07-11 08:50:40)

But why DA filters are applied when no DA conversion takes place? Doesn't it mean filters applied twice: on adi and on neumann? Sorry if it is obvious for everyone except me

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

Correct, DA Filters are no processing and therefore not existent on the digital output. So there is something different going on. Check the output as suggested by ning.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok, I can do it on Tuesday earliest.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

7 (edited by vlad.e 2021-07-12 21:10:07)

I have not found out a way to loop a digital signal in Adi. In USB mode I use it drivers dont show any inputs other than 2 Line inputs in my DAW. What source and ADI settings do I have to use to prove for you what I hear?

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

8 (edited by ning 2021-07-13 05:23:24)

You need to connect digital out to digital in physically. For instance use the break out cable and connect the two AES together

In the setting you have to put the device into multichannel mode and reconnect the usb cable, so you'll get the digital in signal from usb.

9 (edited by vlad.e 2021-07-13 06:39:42)

Thanks! CC-Mode was greyed out as Stereo while USB cable was plugged in. Now I have all the inputs. I am going to make the test today.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

10 (edited by vlad.e 2021-07-13 13:52:40)

ADI generates the same digital content with any DA filters used - phase inversion mutes the sound. As it should do. So ADI is ok.
But Neumann room correction eq seems to be somehow dynamic. It generates different content for the same source every time - I checked it from both analog and coax outputs. And the difference produced is audible for me. Especially at the moment when I switch anything in ADI settings because it seems I pay much more attention to the sound changing.
I can share files if anyone is interested.

ADI-2 Pro FS R BE