Topic: Units protected against static electricity

Offen you are charged with static electricity due to the clothes you are wearing. Are the RME units protected
for example the volume control on the API 2 PRO when a discharge occur via this volume Control  knop?

Re: Units protected against static electricity

That spark will go to ground because the case is grounded.

And the inputs are protected by their input capacitors, which can cope easily with static voltage induced power. It may be several thousand volts, but there is very little energy in static voltage.

A direct lightning strike is a completely different matter. There are no electronics capable of surviving that.

And very high impedance inputs (Hi-Z, like for instrument inputs) are more vulnerable too. But you'll jump of your chair before these get damaged.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Thank you, that's very interesting information.

4 (edited by Mutamycete 2021-07-17 21:39:34)

I think it is obvious that such devices are protected against static charge. Imagine a situation where devices stop working because of static charge. In winter in wool socks, I would be an electronics killer. But what I've always wondered is whether you could absorb the charge of an entire lightning bolt, because lightning carries a lot of energy. I think it could be a type of alternative or renewable energy. Recently read on https://www.simplyswitch.com/energy/gui … -supplier/ that renewable energy is much cheaper than conventional energy. But it's still a mystery to me why people don't use renewable energy, since this way we can save the planet.

Not a topic for this forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME