Topic: RME UC causes CPU spikes that result in Macbook freeze/crash

Hi Lovely forum people,

I have a problem with my recently purchased (second hand) RME UC. it runs smoothly for a while, like between 30 minutes and an hour, and then suddenly can't handle the simples sessions anymore. My Ableton freezes. and then I sort of have to figure out how to get everything working again. I'm not sure yet on the fastest procedure to get it up and running, but of course, this shouldn't be happening at all.

this happens on multiple MacBooks and a Mac mini, all of different years but all powerful enough to at least run basic projects. My own specs are:

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
Mojave 10.14.6
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Firmware of the Rme is v126, Driver v 3.21
My TotalMix software is: v1.73

other audio interfaces work fine, switching the usb cable doesn't make a difference

Has anyone encountered similar issues and solved it?
Anyone know where the problem might lie?
Is it possible in the worst case scenario to get it repaired for a reasonable price (I'm in the Netherlands) if it's necessary?

Appreciate the help guys/girls!

Thank you for reading. Hopefully we can figure this out smile

Re: RME UC causes CPU spikes that result in Macbook freeze/crash

Mind that the UC does not "handle" your sessions. Only the software does. This also does not appear like a hardware issue.
Is the issue reproducible with other software (Reaper)? Have you tried all available USB ports?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Mind that the UC does not "handle" your sessions. Only the software does. This also does not appear like a hardware issue.
Is the issue reproducible with other software (Reaper)? Have you tried all available USB ports?

Hey thank you for getting back! this happens in both Ableton Live (my macbook) and Logic (my studio partners' macbook).
But I'll try to see if changing the usb port / another cable can make a difference and I'll report back.

Afroham

Is this a 15" medio 2012 MB Pro?

From the specs, I'd guess it is.

Just recently had very weird issues with two of those. After a lot of mucking about, replacing parts etc. it turned out the 16 GB ram inside were just a bit too much for the PSU on the logic board.

The ram consumed way more power than it should. One machine failed. The second one was fine on battery, but refused every charger I had laying around. A 2011 went beserk with that ram; endless reboots.

The ram has been returned but one machine still needs repair. A software ram test showed no problems if the macs booted.

If you have spare ram lying around, please try it. The sodimms in question ran fine for a month or so. That's why I didn't suspect them at first. It wasn't until the test in the 2011 that I started smelling bad ram.

Ten years is a long time for a laptop...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...