Topic: Digiface Dante Controller

Hello friends,

I'm having a problem, which is probably very basic, but I can't at all figure it out:

2 MacBook Pros (16", Intel, Big Sur 11.4) each with RME Digiface Dante interface, connected via single ethernet cable together (port 1 - port 1 on Digifaces),
neither of them can be seen in Dante Controller at all no matter what NIC I configure, but both have TotalMix seemingly fully functional,

I tried reinstalling RME driver few times, RME network-fix few times, no luck,

also I have no direct access to those right now, so using remote desktop (native vnc in MacOS) using CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock to provide ethernet connection from TB3 port, and the remote performance is rather terrible since Digiface Dante are plugged in

I'm familiar with various Dante solutions like Rednet PCIe cards, Virtual Sound Cards etc... and I remember Dante Control wasn't always possible from within the same device/port - is that same with Digiface Dante?

thanks in advance

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Re: Digiface Dante Controller

You have to be more specific about your issu. It could be:

-IP address conflict. The digiface is not in the same network as the network adapter. Please check the ip addresses.

-The netifc daemon not installed. Big sur does not allow kernel extensions. The solution for the digiface is to run the userland daemon netifc. Type "ifconfig" at the commandline. There should be a network interface "feth10000" which is up and has an ip. Make sure to select "feth10000" within the dante controller.

3 (edited by tzzsmk 2021-07-14 15:34:17)

netifc supposedly works because I can now see feth0000 (and 001, 002, 003),
I wasn't able to locate in RME manual, where am I supposed to set IP address of feth ports ??
it's not in Fireface USB settings panel, and I haven't found it in TotalMix either

ps: yes I have latest firmware 39, latest driver 3.25, latest TotalMix 1.73, latest Dante Controller 4.4.0.8

Reaper, High Sierra

Looks like you use an older version of netifc. Please download again. And there is no need to set IP adresses.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by tzzsmk 2021-07-15 08:10:01)

it is the "latest" version from RME downloads website (2021-05-19)

when I click "Reload Device Information" in Dante Controller, I get an error "Subnet mismatch with either the device or Dante interface on Link Local" - I get this error on both computers with Digiface Dante cards connected

Reaper, High Sierra

can I completely reset Digiface Dante (including all network settings)? it seems firmware upgrade/reset doesn't do that

Reaper, High Sierra

7 (edited by tzzsmk 2021-07-16 13:10:53)

so, it appears to be a software/firmware design flaw of RME,

I was able to replicate the problem with another Digiface Dante units:
if two Digiface Dante units are connected together, with mismatched subnet, Dante Controller bricks itself on feths,

sadly RME Flash Update Utility isn't capable of reseting Digiface Dante internal network configuration,

I'm trying to access the unit locally from computer ethernet port via fixed 172.31.*.* connected to Secondary Digiface Dante port,
trying to view/reset device in Dante Controller, DigiFace Dante usb needs to be disconnected or Dante Controller bricks itself again

Reaper, High Sierra

8 (edited by uwekirst 2021-07-19 21:36:42)

I think you need a router (eg. fritzbox) in a dante network, so all the dante devices get an ip from that router.
There are two ip addresses: 1) the ip of the dif audio device 2) the ip of the dif as a network card of the computer. They must be in the same network for the dante controller to work.
You can set the ip of the network card (feth10000) manually at the command line with ipconfig. Mac OS will not remember what you set. So do not disable the interface or your setting will be lost.
The ip of the dante device can be set manually too. The dante devices remember their settings of course.

9 (edited by ramses 2021-07-19 21:36:01)

Use Cisco Router -> secondary ip address
Use L3 Switch ... different VLANs and the Router inside of this switch routes between subnets/VLANs.
Use PC/Mainboard with two network adapters ... PC can access the two networs on the two different LAN adapters.
Use a Linux box as router ... maybe you need a web-/mail-/proxy-/nas-/backup ... server anyway ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

uwekirst wrote:

I think you need a router (eg. fritzbox) in a dante network, so all the dante devices get an ip from that router.
There are two ip addresses: 1) the ip of the dif audio device 2) the ip of the dif as a network card of the computer. They must be in the same network for the dante controller to work.
You can set the ip of the network card (feth10000) manually at the command line with ipconfig. Mac OS will not remember what you set. So do not disable the interface or your setting will be lost.
The ip of the dante device can be set manually too. The dante devices remember their settings of course.

which precisely is the problem - DigiFace Dante is supposed to provide those both NICs (one of them being feth) but neither of those IP configs can be done from within the RME Settings panel and the internal IP settings of DigiFace cannot be reset without functional Dante network

Reaper, High Sierra

ramses wrote:

Use Cisco Router -> secondary ip address
Use L3 Switch ... different VLANs and the Router inside of this switch routes between subnets/VLANs.
Use PC/Mainboard with two network adapters ... PC can access the two networs on the two different LAN adapters.
Use a Linux box as router ... maybe you need a web-/mail-/proxy-/nas-/backup ... server anyway ..

what a user-friendly Dante setup haha,
would be easier if computer could access Dante network from within DigiFace Dante virtual NIC

Reaper, High Sierra