Topic: Totalmix Control without Hardware/Interface

Good day all - this will probably come off as a weird question, but I hope you'll entertain me with this.

Given that Totalmix FX is part of the driver, is it possible to open it without the hardware? I realize, that this seems odd, and it obviously wouldn't be controlling or affecting anything, I'm just hoping to have my hands on the UI to ensure that before I buy a UCX II, I can setup the interface to do all the routing and processing I'm doing with an X32 Rack.

If not, I can elaborate some more on the setup/routing to see if it's possible, but I'll spare you all with the boring details for now. Thanks!

Re: Totalmix Control without Hardware/Interface

not possibel.
Totalmix IS the Interface or the visualization of it.
No worry, you will learn the handling very quick after watching the videos on youtube.
May you watch all videos you can find "RME Totalmix" before you buy.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

its a good question why RME doesn't permit desktop TMFX to be opened offline ?  there has been a few times this would have been handy for me.. the silly part is you can open the ipad app without the hardware just not the desktop app ?  I have an X32 and being able to quickly check mixes offline with that is a helpful thing..

Thanks for the responses!

I wasn't aware you could open the ipad app without hardware connectivity though, so that's probably the next step I'll take.

Would functionality change at all between the Windows control UI and ipad app?

When you turn windows on it will sync up with the iPad app but I’m sure the  iPad will change its settings to those on the pc on 1st sync.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

Oh no! I lost my first reply draft since my login expired! Anyways, attempt 2!

Thanks for the iPad app heads up, it was very useful being able to get my hands on the UI to see what it was capable of.

So while I know the the UCX II (or other options in the lineup) would work perfectly for the first role (being a rock-solid IO for VO and music work), I am... almost positive it'll work for my lofty ideas for its use in OBS.

If someone is willing to check my homework, I'd appreciate it.

So OBS basically wants to listen to inputs 1/2 of any sound device it's interacting with. As a result, if I want multiple sources (we'll say, 4 channels of audio) to go into OBS, I'll need to sum audio into the AN 1/2 output and then enable "Loopback" which would then route the buss to channels 1/2.

So my basic physical signal flow is as such:
"Aux" device (1/8th TRS) > Radial Stereo DI > Mic Inputs 1/2
Microphones > MP2NV >  Line Inputs 5/6

Compression applied to the "aux" and mics, EQ applied to the microphones.

DSP routing:
Reroute the Main/Control Room to any other output.
Route the Input Channels 1/2 and 5/6 to Output Channel 1/2; engage basic dynamics to prevent clipping and enable "Loopback."

The only question that comes to mind is if the Loopback feature actually feeds it back into the input channel on the DSP Mixer, because that would mean I'd be creating a feedback loop. But judging by the youtube videos on Totalmix FX, I don't think that's how it works...

(I'm also curious if the "DSP EQ+D for Record" option has to be enabled for the Output dynamics to print to the loopback. I'm pretty sure the other effects would print fine without it, since I'm sending the processed audio to Output 1/2 first... but I don't think the Output dynamics would work.)

Honestly - I wish I had looked into RME products years back, I wouldn't have been playing hot potato with interfaces as much as I have...

I don't have my UFX plugged in at the moment to check what you are asking but from memory I'm pretty sure that should work, I dont think loopback returns to 1/2... I'm not sure about compression on loopback output I don't recall ever trying it.. someone else might be able to confirm. 

also check the manual, I think most things are answered in there..