Topic: FF 800 Headphones Jack?

Hey there I just acquired a FF800 its old, however its rock solid and its D to A convertors are amazing

Question: I have very expensive vintage Sony Studio Headphones (now $500+ on ebay) it has a 1/8 in jack, I use the 1/8 to 1/4 inch screw on jack and when I plug the head phones in and I only get the left channel.?

My wife came in and ask what was wrong I told her, she plugged a $20 pair of head phones and whamo both sides left and right.

Does anyone have advice for headphones that are functional but decent quality for tracking?

Not sure if the jack is loose . . but the 20 buck headphones work perfectly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2 (edited by waedi 2021-07-19 10:32:56)

Re: FF 800 Headphones Jack?

May you can do a test with the Sony headphone on another device, mobile phone or notebook ?
Probably there is something broken inside the headphone or in the cable due to age.
The headphone socket of the interface seems to be in working condition as you proved it already.
For the headphone tip my point goes to Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Not all jack plugs are the same. I have had ones that don’t work and give one side only. Adapters aren’t all the same. Some work with certain headphones and not others. May be an idea to try swapping that first. By the way I have the DT1770s and they are a cut above the DT770s if you need isolation.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

I would check to see if the Sony's just need a new cable.  Regarding iso cans, my Sennheiser hd280pros have been sturdy and reliable for the last 10 years.

Thank you guys. The Sony's work perfectly on every other sound device I have plugged them into. Listening to the Sony's on my laptop right atthis moment . .No issues . . I was surprised when they didn't work. I sprayed contact cleaner in the jack waited till it dried, applied power . .  The head phone jack is still a little finicky.. I will look at the phone that were recommended. Thank you . .

I need some head phones to track guitars and vocals . .  they don't have to be final mix accurate, but if they sound decent that makes the player happy. right . .  thank you for the advice.

Any one else that have head phones that are just plug and play no issues please let me know. Thanks