Topic: RME 802 syncing issues

Hello,

Today I installed RME Fireface 802 on a Windows 10 PC.
I've crossed with syncing problems with Eventide Orville. I am trying to connect them via AES, set RME clock to internal and clock source in Orville to AES. Clock is not stable, Orville says clock is slippery. Numbers on Orville are changing from 47999 to 48002.

on RME AES input set to AES, AES output to professional.

I have RME 800 installed on this PC before and connected to Orville via spdif. There were no clock problems.

i7-9700, 32GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 ti, RME Babyface Pro FS, Nuendo 11, Windows 10

2 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-07-12 15:50:45)

Re: RME 802 syncing issues

Hello!

Is the cable of the right impendance? 110 Ohm?

Also, is the "Pitch" setting, under "Clock Mode" section in the driver settings, set to "0.000%" ?

EDIT: You can, also, check the Orville's manual here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.d … Manual.pdf

Section "Digital Setup", page 56

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Is the cable of the right impendance? 110 Ohm?

Hi!

Thanks, I am not sure about it. It wasn't mentioned in the description. It's just short microphone cable.

Also, is the "Pitch" setting, under "Clock Mode" section in the driver settings, set to "0.000%" ?

yes!

EDIT: You can, also, check the Orville's manual here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.d … Manual.pdf

Section "Digital Setup", page 56

I'll re-read it. Thnk you

i7-9700, 32GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 ti, RME Babyface Pro FS, Nuendo 11, Windows 10

You 're welcome!!

Rustami wrote:

Thanks, I am not sure about it. It wasn't mentioned in the description. It's just short microphone cable.

You need a cable like this one: https://www.thomann.de/de/cae_29014_aesebu_kabel.htm

It looks like a normal mic cable, but it has different impendance(110 Ohms) which is needed for AES/EBU connections!

I can't believe the cable is the issue. Looks more like the Orville has a clock issue. What happens if you turn the clock setup around - Orville Master, 802 synced to the Orville AES?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Or just use spdif instead of aes, there is no advantage except longer cable runs.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

7 (edited by waedi 2021-07-14 00:14:33)

Little input regarding Orville.
I had one and it was fine but after a few years it turned to become a problem child.
Error messages during booting and lost of parts of the unit, DSP B not available, sync failures, etc etc.
Eventide support from USA told me to replace the battery.
Häh !? There is a battery ?
Indeed there is a small battery inside on the motherboard.
This was never replaced and lost it's capacity after 20 years or so.
With new battery and a few reboots all issues went away and the unit was fully functional again.
It was connected to ADI-6432 via XLR microphone cable and worked perfectly fine.
The battery type is CR2330 or BR2330 and for exchange the powercable shall be disconnected and be aware of losing presets and settings.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

MC wrote:

I can't believe the cable is the issue. Looks more like the Orville has a clock issue. What happens if you turn the clock setup around - Orville Master, 802 synced to the Orville AES?

I've ordered a 110 ohm cable anyway.

As for the your question, it's my workaround right now. When Orville is a master, all is fine.

I've tried today to sync Orville via wordclock, setting RME as a master and got the same slipping clock issue

https://youtu.be/AnEA3mUeWFs

waedi wrote:

Little input regarding Orville.
I had one and it was fine but after a few years it turned to become a problem child.
Error messages during booting and lost of parts of the unit, DSP B not available, sync failures, etc etc.
Eventide support from USA told me to replace the battery.
Häh !? There is a battery ?
Indeed there is a small battery inside on the motherboard.
This was never replaced and lost it's capacity after 20 years or so.
With new battery and a few reboots all issues went away and the unit was fully functional again.
It was connected to ADI-6432 via XLR microphone cable and worked perfectly fine.
The battery type is CR2330 or BR2330 and for exchange the powercable shall be disconnected and be aware of losing presets and settings.

Thanks, I'll try it out!

vinark wrote:

Or just use spdif instead of aes, there is no advantage except longer cable runs.

RME Fireface 802 has AES/EBU socket. I don't want to use rca - xlr cable.

New cables haven't solved the problem.

12 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-07-21 00:44:14)

Which Inputs are you using on the Orville? 1/2 or 3/4?

I 've been reading the Orville 's manual, "Using an external Clock" section(page59), but I can't, quite, understand it.
It 's not that clear-written..

Here 's a quote:

When you use the “external” clock, the system sampling rate will be that of the external digital signal.  The sys-
tem sampling rate is the sampling rate used for all internal processing.  The external clock’s sampling rate is
derived from digital inputs 1/2 or the word clock input. 

Unless sample rate conversion is on ("bottom" clock menu page in the SETUP area), you must ensure that digital inputs 3/4, if used, are synchronized to digital inputs 1/2 or the word clock input. Similarly, if you only use a single digital input, it must connect to 1/2.

Sample Rate Conversion needs to be off, nice found. The rest seems clear - use input 1/2 and/or word clock as sync source in the Orville.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

SRC was off, I used 1/2 and wordclock. I have just replaced a battery. It shows 48001 again when locked to RME. Strange thing that RME says AES in sync.

Rustami wrote:

SRC was off, I used 1/2 and wordclock. I have just replaced a battery. It shows 48001 again when locked to RME. Strange thing that RME says AES in sync.

One device can only tell sync status of itself not of others.
Is clock source in the Orville set to AES input now ?

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:
Rustami wrote:

One device can only tell sync status of itself not of others.
Is clock source in the Orville set to AES input now ?

To AES or Wordclock. Now it's wordclock (I have it connected too). But switching to AES shows the same 48001

Now I've crossed with this https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/bi … 00.240068/

Can be just wrong indication?

And this is from H8000 manual - The rate of the external clock is displayed in the "Sample Rate: xxxxx" field.  In the
example shown two screens above, the actual frequency of the external signal is 48001Hz. 
External sampling rates can range from ~30kHz to 53kHz and 61kHz to ~99kHz

OK, Eventide support has said, if it's not "slippery", it's OK. So I will ignore 48001 thing.
Thanks everyone! New battery and cables did the job :-)