Topic: RE: Fireface UC / Ableton Live 9 / Windows 10

Hello,

Any help or thread suggestions is greatly appreciated in advance. I am having Audio Dropout issues during the Playback with my FireFace UC, Ableton Live 9, and Windows 10. The Ableton Live session audio will drop out as soon as I click the "Playback" or "Track Arm" button. Also, when I go to the Ableton Live "Preferences Menu and select "Test Tone" and the same audio dropout issue will occur. Once when the audio drop out occurs, I have to go back into the into Ableton Live Preference Menu and change the Sample Rate. Changing the preference menu's Sample Rate will bring back the input channel's audio level, but the same Playback/ audio drop out issue will occur, if I press track arm or playback button again. The REM TotalMix FX reflects the audio level for a XLR mic that I have set up for testing the audio. The RME TotalMix reflects audio in the Hardware inputs and Hardware Outputs, but there is NO sound for the Software Playback. The RME TotalMix Software Playback audio will slightly spike, when I click on the Ableton Playback or Track Arm button, but only for a split second b/c the audio drops out so quickly.

I have tried so many different updates, reinstalls, and trouble shooting that I have no clue what to do anymore. Please let me know, if anyone can help provide a solution, thread suggestion to read, share their experiences, or a factory reset that I should consider. It's driving me crazy.

Also, FWIW I tried switching over to a preowned Mac w/ High Sierra OS. The Playback/audio worked, but the audio crackled and popped during playback. I even increased the Sample size to 192000, but the audio crackle and pop never went away during playback. I have returned the preowned Mac, but I am considering purchasing a newer preowned Mac w/ greater CPU & a different OS.

I am thinking that there is an Ableton Live software compatibility issue w/ my Windows 10 and RME FireFace UC. My next option will be purchasing a Mac and Logic DAW, if I am unable to figure a solution to the audio dropout issue. I wanted to post on the RME User Forum to check to see if any RME users have experienced any issues w/ FireFace UC, Ableton Live 9, and Windows 10 to try to fix the issue for one last time. I tried downloading the Ableton Live 11 Free Trial, but the same Audio Dropout issues occur during playback. Thank you for sharing any trouble shooting solutions. I will post my system settings below.

RME Fireface Windows 10 driver, Windows WDM and ASIO 2.3 support
Driver Date: 04.05/21
Driver Version: 1.212
Hardware Revision: 126

REM Total Mix Version 1.73

Ableton Live 9 Suite (9.7.7 Build: 2018-06-22 b058f6a52c 64-bit)
Max 7 (64-bit)

COMPUTER
Device HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz   3.41 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
Device ID   
Product ID
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    No pen or touch input is available for this display

WINDOWS SPECIFICATIONS
Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    21H1
Installed on    12/10/2020
OS build    19043.1110
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Re: RE: Fireface UC / Ableton Live 9 / Windows 10

Try this firmware version:

http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_win_123.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you kindly, MC! I appreciate the quick reply. I am pretty sure the firmware version worked. I will need more time this evening to further test. You made my day!

If that works then the problem is the USB support of that motherboard. Did you try all available USB ports with firmware version 126?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No, I did not try all available ports. I only use the 2 front ports of the computer b/c the back ports are very tough to reach, due to space confinements. My Ableton is working great w/ the firmware download you provided. I can't thank you enough. Is there any USB support of motherboard issues that I should be aware of in the future for any RME driver & firmware updates OR should I just port any issues here for support? Thank you kindly for your help. Have a nice evening.