1 (edited by eigilkorsager 2021-07-21 18:18:02)

Topic: Audio interface used for extra preamps?

Greetings!

Hope you’re all having a great summer.

Me? I’m currently spending some time figuring out which audio interface to purchase. I’m leaning towards the RME Babyface Pro FS (the new third generation version). I’ve used the original Babyface up till now, and I’ve been very happy with it. My concern is that I might end up wishing I had purchased a bigger audio interface with more I/O.

My question to you is as follows:

What kind of quality, issues, problems, etc.  should I expect if I end up I using an older audio interface like for example the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 solely as a preamp (in standalone mode, which I read is possible) sending signal via ADAT to a new RME Babyface Pro FS? Will the clock of the RME work as a master? Will audio quality on these channels suffer from the older converters of the Focusrite in this context?

The reason why I ask, is that I may need more ins and outs at some point recording bands playing live in the same room. It seems like a cost effective alternative to use an older audio interface that I can get used for next to nothing these days, compared to getting  either a bigger RME audio interface, or a new RME preamp.

Appreciate your help!

2 (edited by ramses 2021-07-21 18:38:04)

Re: Audio interface used for extra preamps?

Babyface Pro FS or the new UCX II would be ideal for you.

If you use the Focusrite interface in stand-alone mode, connected through ADAT to main RME recording interface (acting as clock master), the audio conversion quality is determined mainly by the converters/preamp of the Focusrite.
The digital audio transfer through ADAT to the RME main interface is lossless.

The UCX II has some very interesting features like
- preamps like UFX II / + with a big gain range of 75dB
- AUTOSET
- FX chip
- DURec for standalone or Backup recording
- additional AES I/O so that you could later even integrate an ADI-2 Pro through it ...

See my excel comparison sheet in this blog article: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … B-MADIfac/

And here some information that I put together about the new UCX II:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33222

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Will work excellent. Best is focusrite as master when you are using the extra preamps. When not in use the babyface as master.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thanks a bunch guys! Really appreciate your input.

@ramses : Indeed the Fireface UCX II is a real powerhouse. I’m very tempted by the extra features, however at it’s current price the Babyface Pro FS delivers most of the features I need at about half of that. For the purpose of tracking one or two channels most of the time, I guess it will suffice. Being bus powered it’s also quite nice for quick setups with a laptop.

In practical use, I’d probably use the better preamps/converter of the RME Babyface Pro FS for critical tracks like vocal and main instruments, and then add the less critical parts via the third party connected preamp.

@Vincent : Nice! Thanks for the advice.