Topic: Babyface Pro FS - no Headphone output in CC Mode?

Hello,

i had to chance to get my hands on a Babyface Pro FS for the weekend at home.
Connection to my Macbook worked without problems and i set the device into Class Compliant Mode on Mac

Playback on my monitorspeakers is great, but i can´t get a signal on the headphones...?

If i press the "OUT" Button the light jumps from "CH1/2" to "Phones" but nothing happens...
shouldn´t the sound from the speakers turn off and going to the headphones? also if i click
again on "OUT" button to "OPT" the Babyface is still playing "CH1/2" to my speakers..

sorry for my dumb question, but i hope someone can help..

Re: Babyface Pro FS - no Headphone output in CC Mode?

You have to change your Mac sound output channels to Output 3+4 to hear it in the Phones out. Remember, CC mode has no TotalMix, so there is no possibility to send a signal to AN 1+2 and also PH 3+4 at the same time.

https://support.apple.com/guide/audio-m … 5/mac/11.0

The hardware button does not change the routing, it only changes which channel you are controlling with the knob.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

You have to change your Mac sound output channels to Output 3+4 to hear it in the Phones out. Remember, CC mode has no TotalMix, so there is no possibility to send a signal to AN 1+2 and also PH 3+4 at the same time.

https://support.apple.com/guide/audio-m … 5/mac/11.0

The hardware button does not change the routing, it only changes which channel you are controlling with the knob.

Hallo Jeff, thanks for your reply.
your link to support.apple does not work for me.. it leads to configuring 5.1 speakers etc.. i don´t see BF 3/4 output there?

is there an exact (!) manual how to enable the headphone-output on macOS 11 in compliant mode?

4 (edited by waedi 2021-07-23 21:59:39)

Yes you can't see the Babyface there because it is in CC-mode. It does not exist for the computer but the channels exist and are available in the DAW as output channels 3 and 4.
Most software plays only output 1/2 and the computer system as well.
To solve this the link above is helpful.
It not only leads you to surround configurations, it's also possible to create a new stereo configuration (your headphone).
Use the Audio Midi Setup Program and add a new mainset (Hauptgerät erstellen), consists of output 3 and 4.
When this is successfully done, you can choose this in the system audio preferences as the audio output device.
Then the whole sound from your computer should come to the headphone.
May be it works, but why do you set it to CC-mode ?
CC-mode is for iPads and iPhone not for Macbooks.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

5 (edited by Kat 2021-07-25 11:42:33)

Hello Friends,
I am a singer and would like to video record some music.  I have the Babyface Pro Fs, an iphone 11, microphone and a keyboard.  From what i have read,  i understand i would have to use the Babyface on CC Mode. Unfortunately i have not being able to make all this work together.  Can anyone kindly direct me perhaps to someone, or to some video or literature where i could find this information.  You guys are all very knowledgeable, so please don't get annoyed by my ignorance!  Whatever advice would give me will be greatly appreciated!
All best!

For CC-mode : Press and hold the two lower buttons Select and DIM on the Babyface during powering up.
it stays in CC-mode until you repeat this procedure.
Do you have the external power supply NTCardbus-X ? You should use it.
What DAW you want to use for recording the music ? Garageband ?
Create a few (make 4) tracks audio and select the inputs numbers 1 to 4.
Arm these tracks for recording and play and sing something, the signals should be visible.
I can't tell if this works fine together with video recording, I think it will work.
You have to familiarise yourself with the DAW and how to enable the mic input on the Babyface.
Check your mic for phantompower.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

7 (edited by zwap 2021-07-25 14:53:04)

waedi wrote:

Use the Audio Midi Setup Program and add a new mainset (Hauptgerät erstellen), consists of output 3 and 4.
When this is successfully done, you can choose this in the system audio preferences as the audio output device.
Then the whole sound from your computer should come to the headphone.
May be it works, but why do you set it to CC-mode ?

Hello Waedi, many thanks for the info..  i bite the apple and installed and have opened TotalMix App and Settings App all the time. 

But a question:  is it now here possible to program a "one-tab-solution" to switch from Speaker CH1/2 output to "Headphone" and vice versa?

to be precise:  if the music actually plays from the speakers, i want to finger-tab on a button (on the hardware Babyface itself, not TotalMix) to switch over to my headphones (which mutes than the Speakeroutput instantly) and than switch back with the same button to the speakers, when i finished checking on headphones? 

is there a easy way to program and save this in Totalmix so i dont have to switch to the app all time.
a step-by-step would  be very helpful.. sorry for the beginner-question,  i´m totally new to RME and checking all the videos on youtube, but its not that easy, than i thought ,-)

You can easily program that change on one of the two programmable buttons on the Babyface Pro. Set Phones as Speaker B and set that function to the button A or B in TM FX Options Key Commands. See manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by zwap 2021-07-27 18:34:51)

MC wrote:

You can easily program that change on one of the two programmable buttons on the Babyface Pro. Set Phones as Speaker B and set that function to the button A or B in TM FX Options Key Commands. See manual.

Thanks Matthias, that works great... exactly how i need it.. 
Perfect, i will try to learn more about TotalMix App every day!