Topic: TotalMix FX MIDI routing with Nucleus

Hi, I have TotalMix hooked up to my Nucleus. But I can only control Hardware Inputs 1-8
I would especially like to also control the Software Playback and the Hardware Outputs.
In another thread I found the information, that:

SOFTWARE PLAYBACK
MIDI Channel 5
CC102 : AN 1 Fader : 0 - 127
CC103 : AN 2 Fader : 0 - 127
CC104 : AN 3 Fader : 0 - 127
CC105 : AN 4 Fader : 0 - 127
CC106 : AN 5 Fader : 0 - 127
CC107 : AN 6 Fader : 0 - 127
CC108 : AN 7 Fader : 0 - 127
CC109 : AN 8 Fader : 0 - 127
CC110 : SPDIF L Fader : 0 - 127

BUT: The Nucleus uses ipMIDI - So how could I get this to work?
Thanks for any help

Re: TotalMix FX MIDI routing with Nucleus

It might help to know how you got the first 8 channels to work.

Doesn't the Nucleus include Mackie control protocol? You should be able to move through all channels and rows easily.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, Nucleus has mackie, but it uses ipMIDI. Each IP Midi port supposed to have 16 channels, but I don‘t know where to assign the Midi Channel , mentioned in the above list as in TotalMix I can only assign the ipMIDI ports, not the distincted channels „within the port“. I got the first 8 running by selecting the ipMIDI port.

I think that is a misunderstanding. The ports equal more fader blocks (aka Mackie Extenders). You must still be able to move the first 8 channels freely around. Check the manual for the navigation buttons.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well I can move the first 8 hardware input faders, incl. pan, mute, solo - but I‘d also like to control the output faders incl. SPDIF (as I got digital monitors connected to it) and the software input faders. They don‘t react. The manual doesn‘t refer to any MIDI implementation for outputs and software inputs. I got the information from a post in the forum.

That reads like you did not understand me. Mackie is a block of 8 channels that can be freely moved left/right/up/down within the TotalMix window. You must have navigation buttons for that on your Nucleus, and using these the highlighted 8-channel block in TM FX will move to different channels. There is no programming needed, nor are the commands that you listed related in any way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by paulnajar 2021-07-19 12:00:18)

Mathias is correct. You have a misunderstanding about how this should work. I use a SSL Nucleus with Totalmix FX amongst other programs.

The Nucleus creates 6 virtual MIDI ports assignable to applications in 3 pairs. In the SSL remote software and hardware this corresponds to DAW 1, 2 & 3.

IN TMFX to get 16 faders to address it you need to assign the left and right side of the Nucleus to 2 different Midi remote pages and enable Mackie Control Protocol for both those pages in TMFX. The ports you assign must be ODD/ Even numbered ports. On Nucleus DAW 1 corresponds to ports 1&2 DAW 2 to ports 3&4 and DAW 3 to ports 5&6.

So manual assignment of controls on Nucleus is not necessary. You simply need to tell on e of the DAW profiles in Nucleus via it’s remote software to be a mackie control, then assign the ports correctly as mentioned above and it all should work - and very well indeed it works once set up.

Give it a try and ask more questions if you need

MC wrote:

That reads like you did not understand me. Mackie is a block of 8 channels that can be freely moved left/right/up/down within the TotalMix window. You must have navigation buttons for that on your Nucleus, and using these the highlighted 8-channel block in TM FX will move to different channels. There is no programming needed, nor are the commands that you listed related in any way.

I have navigation buttons and I of course tried pressing them - nothing happend. But it is somehow encouraging that Paul from Australia have it working - so, I'll give it another try. Thank you for your patience and your kind replies.

paulnajar wrote:

Give it a try and ask more questions if you need

I don't have access to the console, now. But I will of course give it a try later. Thanks for your encouraging post. However I am aware of the DAW1/2/3 levels of the Nucleus, and also that 1 is ipMIDI port 1/2, 2 is 3/4 etc., I think I had the Logic MCU selected, but I'll give it another try later today. Thanks anyway!

As mentioned in the manual you might need to use specific emulations to make it work. Maybe Paul can tell.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Folks, thanks for your advices, but I have tried everything now -  it just can't get it to work: Paul: Would you mind sending me screenshots of your configuration page in TotalMix and Nucleus? I'd be willing to pay for your time, if you provide a paypal account. Thanks in advance.

A screenshot of your Mackie controlled 8 channel block in TM FX might be useful to have first.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I’m happy to but it’s nighttime here so I am away from my studio. tomorrow I will send….

14 (edited by paulnajar 2021-07-24 05:07:01)

OK so here is some screen shots and a few more words. Hopefully this will get you going. This assumes you have correctly installed the IP MIDI plugin and the Nucleus Remote software.

Assuming you are on a a Mac (?) In Audio MIDI Setup if you have IP MIDI installed it should look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqmnhllgoogac … m.png?dl=0

In the Nucleus Remote select which DAW you wish to use control Totalmix. DAW 1 = ipMidi ports 1&2, DAW 2 = ipMidi ports 3&4, DAW 3 = ipMidi ports 5&6.

Select the Logic Standard profile or any profile that uses the Mackie Control Protocol from the list.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hmuibxd21xblc … 5%20am.png

Then save this as a new profile called Totalmix or whatever.

In Totalmix go to settings and select the MIDI tab. Select device 1 and assign as shown in the picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0r4z20qplfz6q … 7%20am.png

Select MIDI device 2 and assign as in the picture below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51kr1d8np3yfm … 8%20am.png

Go to Totalmix Options menu and enable MIDI control and then under that make sure "Submix Linked to Midi Controller" is assigned as in the following picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydzdgctovdidt … 9%20am.png

That should be all you need to do.

Extra Note:

I tried to get the images to display inline using the images button but that didn't work. If anyone knows what I did wrong that would be good. I could fix my post

You need to place the images (best as JPG) to a cloud and then link the URLs here with the image tags surrounded.
With Dropbox you can substitute the end of such a URL with DL=1, then the forum can load the images and display directly.

Here I described the procedure: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Cool Paul - Thanks a lot !!! Worked perfect with the provided Dropbox links! I appreciate your help so much. I am now away from the nucleus, but will try later!! I already have an Idea - I think I missed the "Submix linked to MIDI controller" bit. Anyway - I'll give feedback! thanks once again to everybody - been great help and supportive so far!

I am now 98% there. When I was following your instructions I got all my HARDWARE INPUTS on my Nucleus - GREAT! which was also displayed in TotalMix with a brown band on the inputs, see:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1emF7Cu … sp=sharing

I of course saved this as a snapshot. When playing around further with "View Options / Routing" in TM, I suddenly got my HARDWARE OUTPUTS on the Nucleus (again, brown band), see:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xp-HLr … sp=sharing

NOW: I don't remember how I did it (....sorry guys...) and I can't find out how to toggle between both states other than saving this also as a snapshot and than toggling between the snapshots by loading the other! Do you have another hint for me!!

Anyway, thanks to all of you once again, this puts so much more ease to my workflow!!!

Back to the Nucleus navigation buttons...to move this 'brown band' through the TM FX window. You can't change its position via TotalMix itself.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

20 (edited by DirtyHarry69 2021-07-23 09:00:04)

....OK, I understand! I don't want to impeach the credibility of your statement. But I haven't touched the Nucleus when it changed. Also, I have one Workspace and one snapshot with the brown band on the Inputs and a second Workspace / Snapshot with the brown band on the outputs. So they change by toggling between the 2 workspaces / snapshots without touching the SSL.  If I use the navigation buttons (Bank/Channel) on the Nucleus, it only moves vertically within one section, so from the Analog inputs to the ADATs (i. e. on the INPUTs).

But the strange thing is:
I really have to go through the "file" menu to load the Workspaces / Snapshots. With the W-key (Workspace Quick select) or the Snaphot shortcuts on the right side of the screen it doesn't work!

ramses wrote:

You need to place the images (best as JPG) to a cloud and then link the URLs here with the image tags surrounded.
With Dropbox you can substitute the end of such a URL with DL=1, then the forum can load the images and display directly.

Here I described the procedure: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

Thanks for your reply Ramses. I followed you instructions but still could not make that work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

DirtyHarry69 wrote:

....OK, I understand! I don't want to impeach the credibility of your statement. But I haven't touched the Nucleus when it changed. Also, I have one Workspace and one snapshot with the brown band on the Inputs and a second Workspace / Snapshot with the brown band on the outputs. So they change by toggling between the 2 workspaces / snapshots without touching the SSL.  If I use the navigation buttons (Bank/Channel) on the Nucleus, it only moves vertically within one section, so from the Analog inputs to the ADATs (i. e. on the INPUTs).

But the strange thing is:
I really have to go through the "file" menu to load the Workspaces / Snapshots. With the W-key (Workspace Quick select) or the Snaphot shortcuts on the right side of the screen it doesn't work!

The 8 snapshots are more than enough for me. I never change workspaces and unless you have a good reason I suggest you do the same. It is possible that when you save the workspace it saves the MIDI remote setting along with it which would be consistent with the behaviour you describe above.

Once again Matthias is correct. Don't worry about where the control surface focus is from one snapshot to another. Just tell me what happens when you have the Nucleus controlling any part of Totalmix and then on the Nucleus you press either the up or down buttons that sit immediately to the left of the jog wheel?

It is these 2 buttons that shift the control surface focus between the hardware inputs, software outputs and hardware outputs layers of Totalmix. The left/ right buttons move the control surface focus to higher or lower numbered channels of the currently selected layer.

If nothing happens and you have followed all my directions then it is possible than you have somehow reassigned the up/ down/ left/ right/ buttons in the Nucleus remote software.

GOT IT smile) Great! Thanks a lot! I always thought it's the Bank/Channel! Sorry for being that slow wink
It works perfect now! Thanks to you guys once again! Stay well. Paul: I wrote to you because of your master class announced on your website. If that is still planned please write to me on hrauer(at)me.com

DirtyHarry69 wrote:

GOT IT smile) Great! Thanks a lot! I always thought it's the Bank/Channel! Sorry for being that slow wink
It works perfect now! Thanks to you guys once again! Stay well. Paul: I wrote to you because of your master class announced on your website. If that is still planned please write to me on hrauer(at)me.com

Well there you go! I had a hunch earlier that it might be that. Glad you got it going.

Yes I've been very slow at getting the first version of my masterclass going. I though perhaps this year I might have gone further as I stopped the part time lecturing I was doing for many years up until the end of 2020 but the pandemic has provided other reasons for it not to be happening yet.

I believe in the format I have in mind for it very much and it's something I arrived at after years of teaching in the formal tertiary environment and what that was not good for.

Because I believe it has to be all learners in the same room we have to wait now until that is possible but I will add your contact to my list. Thanks for your interest:-)

Kind regards

Thanks Paul for that message! Yes, please put me on that list. Yeah, face to face is for sure better, on the other hand remote will allow also people from abroad to attend, that cannot make it to AUS. Maybe Hybrid? My wife is doing it with her QiGong and Meditation classes now, and it's quite successful. Do I owe you something for solving my problem?

Yes remote. It's hard to get the sound quality where it needs to be when teaching music production where sound and fine distinctions with that are so important. That's the big reason but you never know I might change my view as new technologies come around.

And no you don't owe a thing but thanks for asking:-) It's good to share the knowledge around...

Dear Paul - OK so thank you very much for your time!!! Yes, of course the sound quality might be a problem. I have attended a engineering class remote here at Hofa in Germany. Besides "Theoretical" teaching (reading) they send us files, which we than have to do certain manipulations to (i. e. compression, EQ, Effects etc.) and send the result back to them for evaluation. But of course your Masterclass would follow a different concept. Anyway, please keep me in the loop - never been to Australia anyway and it's definately a place on my bucket list.